Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Mar 2011 21:58:01 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: STP Gas Treatment
Comments: To: PB <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM>

hi, I would say ....a 'weak maybe' .... or 'not too likely.'

However ... it is always good to add a good fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank now and then. I wouldn't think STP is an especially a good one ...but more on the hyped up side.

I do think Lucas brand fuel injector cleaner is good. I also sometimes add a bit of Marvel Mystery oil...says fuel system lubricant on the bottle... Or even some B-12 Chemtool or .. here's a very high quality one I believe .....Seafoam.

as long as you 'do something' to treat the fuel and 'try' to clean the injectors now and then.

it won't make up for really lousy injector spray patterns .. and I would not expect a fuel milage improvement really.

Vanagons don't really get out of tune to me. Sure ..they get ancient say ..plug wires that need to be replaced.. and any non-Bosch distributor cap is an automatic thing to replace... and I don't find that the spark plugs wear much at all...

the can develope fuel injection problems of course ....which need to be corrected properly. That's what really goes wrong on them in terms of proper running .. the tune-up parts per se ...last really really well...if Bosch parts.

It's extremely important that it run fully up to temperature , like on the temperature gauge. also winter time very short trips are just hell on engine wear and fuel economy.

a tired oxygen sensor can lower fuel economy too. so can the throttle switch not making contact at idle. ..which is very common - I find those not making contact 'usually' ...like 8 out of 10 waterboxer vanagons I work on.

on some ..the switch can't reach adjustment anymore ....but that can be fixed sometimes.. or the switch is just too corroded to adjust any more.

so ....sure ..deffenitely put in a QUALITY fuel injector cleaner now and then.. but don't expect a big change .. it's more of a preventative treatment really, in my opinion.....and should be put in once or twice a year.

last august I got 20 and 21 mpg on a road trip .....1.9 waterboxer with fresh valve job and running nigh perfectly ....cruising at 60 to 65...........going up to 80 a time or two going downhill. 85 Westy, manual trans ..

I thought that was pretty good. No complaints there. Fuel economy should be better in high ambient temps and worse in cold temps. I only run unleaded regular. Once in a blue moon, mid-grade ..and never premium, and I don't want to discuss why not, btdt too much.

about the worse fuel economy for a waterboxer vanagon is in the winter, in town, with a 2.1 and auto trans. Can be pretty seriously bad, even when running perfectly.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "PB" <pbrattan@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 8:27 PM Subject: STP Gas Treatment