Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:10:46 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Looking for LED Equivalent High Beam Indicator Bulb
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>

At 05:56 AM 3/10/2011, J Stewart wrote: >I had to replace this &%$#@ little bulb on the very first Vanagon I >bought years ago, until then I never knew Virginia would fail you on >state safety inspection if it didn't work.

I think that's a reasonable thing to require to have working...

> I was told it is a "wheat germ bulb",

It isn't, worse luck - although you could probably make do with one in a pinch, it would be a nuisance physically and probably pretty dim. Grain-of-wheat and grain-of-rice bulbs are widely used in model train setups, internal illumination in car radios and similar. Radio Shack has 12v grain of wheat bulbs for a buck each in twos: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103780 . Just the thing for your car radio that no longer lights up - if you're brave enough to go in there and find the little beasties. I have friends who set off into that jungle in 1982 and haven't been heard from since.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the VW lamp is custom-made. I could be wrong though - there are about a gazillion miniature lamps each of which was initially custom-made for some application. For this one the application is to look like the butt end of an LED, so it's a truncated T-1 3/4* with heavyish leads. I've just looked through about five hundred T-1 3/4 subminiature incandescent lamps and found none with short flat tops and very few with wire leads. The vast bulk are midget flange or bi-pin base for industrial use, or wedge base for automotive use.

*I've recently been mixed up and calling "regular" size LEDs T-2 1/2, which is too large. The two regular sizes are T-1 3/4 and T-1.

T = tubular S = spherical (which isn't really) - think stoplight bulb. G = globe-shaped (which is) and the number is the diameter in eighths of an inch and fractions thereof.

Yours, David