Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Mar 2011 08:40:09 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: bolts et al
Comments: To: Mike <mbucchino@charter.net>

Sounds like a PO of these books probably removed the "N", "SP", "L" and "S" sections, which is not uncommon.

The "SP" section listed all of the kits/assemblies from all parts groups (198, 298, etc.)

The "L" section listed all of the paint colors

The "S" section listed all of the special modification parts for special models. For Buses, this can be a very interesting section. In my 67 dated Bus Parts Book, it shows the Sliding Door parts explosion and parts list for 64-67 Buses, the Pickup Truck Tilt (canvas cover, frame and bows), Ambulance Conversion drawings and parts list and so on.

Fortunately, most of my Factory Parts Books have these sections intact. I have many in my library, but these several below are what I use every day at work (along with Fiche and ETKA):

VW Beetle, dated 1972 K Ghia, dated 1973 (shows 1974 stuff) Bus to 67 Bus 68-71 Bus 68-73 (Reprint) Type 3 Type 4 69-73 Dealer Accessory Book with supplement pages through the early 80s -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" Full Timing Since March 1999 oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Mike <mbucchino@charter.net> wrote: > I have 3 original dealer parts books for Beetle and KG dated circa '68. > Mine have no finish references in the hardware descriptions, or an N listing > section in any of them. > :( > Mike B. > > -----Original Message----- From: Old Volks Home > Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 4:41 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: bolts et al > > Mike - > > The old "print" Factory Parts Catalogs used up thru 1973 offered a lot > of information, especially regarding "finish" appearance.  The "print" > books of each model had a specific "N" listing section, in numerical > order, for that model and is a wealth information in that regard. > > When VAG went to microfiche in late 1973, they made a separate fiche > for "Standard Hardware" in 3 languages, English, French and German. > You could even look up a piece of hardware alphabetically (useful IF > you know the correct [ie: their] terminology/nomenclature of the item) > or numerically.  But much of the "finish" information disappeared, > leaving only the "N" number, a brief, sometimes encrypted description, > dimension(s), class (hardness rating like 8.8 or 10.9, etc.,), the > actual DIN code, a remarks column sometimes (but not often) listing > the "finish" appearance, but that was about it. > > ETKA is even worse, showing only the "N" number, description, > dimension(s) and class. > > Sometimes, when I see a number on the fiche or in ETKA, I'll break > open one of the older print catalogs to see if it appears there to > gain more information.  But that's getting harder to do because of VAG > supersessions since 1973 to the newer "N" numbers.  Sometimes the > newer number has a different "finish" appearance than the old number, > sometimes it's just the same piece with a newer number, period.  This > gets frustrating when trying to stay "original". > -- > Jim Thompson > 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" > 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" > 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" > 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" > Full Timing Since March 1999 > oldvolkshome@gmail.com > http://www.oldvolkshome.com > *********************************** > On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Mike <mbucchino@charter.net> wrote: >> >> Thanks so much for that, Alistair!  Great info! >> >> While we're on this subject, does anyone know how to look up the specs for >> a >> certain VW fastener?  By N #?  By ETKA? >>  I'm interested in general finishes for restoration work.  Black oxide for >> chassis?  Yellow Cad-plating for general body-use?  Phospate coating for >> assemblies trhat will be painted? >>  Inquiring minds want to know EXACT details for accurate restoration work. >> German automotive, DIN or VW-related info only, please! >> Thanks for your assistance, if you can help. >> Mike B. >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Alistair Bell >> Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 4:08 PM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: bolts et al >> >> The recent talk on spare tire bolt  reminded me that I have a nice >> overview of fastener tech. on my blog, >> >> http://shufti.wordpress.com/2010/06/17/fastener-info-and-reference/ >> >> >> >> alistair