Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Mar 2011 23:51:11 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: STP Gas Treatment
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

As you say oil technology has changed a lot but the viscosity rating system has not. The Waterboxer needs higher viscosity oil due to its design and tolerances. Sustained high speed driving even in cold ambient temperatures will still result in high oil temps requiring the proper oil viscosity. Especially the 2.1L engines with the oil heat exchanger which not only provides some cooling but also warms the oil to at least the coolant temperature.

5w-20 will defiantly help to ruin those rod bearings and we can then blame the failure on the torque to yield rod bolts.

Dennis