Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:52:47 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Trip Report: Snowbird NW>desert SW>NW (long)
Comments: To: WetWesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>,
          "Vanagons and VW Buses (Bays) with VW inline gas engines"
          <vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines@googlegroups.com>

Just returned from a winter get-a-way..an extended journey in my 84 low-topped Vanagon that's equipped with most of a Westie interior and an inline Jetta gas motor. Specifically, a 2.0 liter (ABA) motor from a '93 Jetta, turning the wheels through a diesel 5sp transmission on 4 Nokian Hakka 185-14 M+S tires.

From just before Christmas until yesterday, I logged a total of 6416 miles with no real problems.

Heading south, the weather was stormy, leading me to choose mostly the Interstates and main highways. Starting near Portland, Or. I logged about 1200 miles to the desert just east of San Diego, Ca.. Keeping a careful eye on the instruments, I drove in my 'Over the Road Trucker-mode'....long hours at 5-10mph over the posted speed limits. This was my first extended highway trip, after a recent preemptive bottom-end motor swap, so I was pleased to find everything working quite well. I encounterd the usual central California valley fog between Redding and Bakersfield. I had some horrendous headwinds around Mt. Shasta and some slick roads, but with new inexpensive (Monroe/NAPA) shocks and excellent power from my "new" engine configuration, nothing too tough. I was a bit surprised when I got out to gas-up near Mt. Shasta without realizing how strong the headwind I'd been bucking (my new-found power) was. It blew me sideways across the ice on the gas station apron, like a hockey skater or something.

During our stay in California, I ran into Vanagonites Bernie from BC and another lister from San Diego area. I did around 3500 miles of side trips over my two months as a Snowbird; a bit of Medical Tourism to Mexico, plenty of day trips for bike riding in the nearby mountains, etc. My only Van mechanical issues were an anticipated exhaust repair and I swapped in another voltage regulator, thinking I might improve my auxiliary battery power supply (not much help there) I'd forgotten to pack my small 'van-specific' solar panel in my rush to escape before the X-mas storm hit, so I was relying on my engine and the alternator to keep the aux battery up...with un-satisfying results, Just not quite poor enough to go buy another solar panel... During fabrication of my new improved exhaust system, I'd also made some bad engineering choices and weakened the flex coupling at the exhaust manifold, so I replaced that with one from Techtonic's Tuning. I had that welded in in El Centro, Ca.

For my return journey north, the weather cooperated a bit. I wanted to do a bike ride (big climbing) I'd heard about in Death Valley, so I headed north up the Colorado to Las Vegas and through to Death Valley, arriving quite late. I found a campsite in Furnace Cr. NP camp...next to a big motorhome....Just as I was finally getting to sleep, the guy's heater fired-off! Sounded like a jet. Huge big motorhomes try to shoe-horn into normal-sized camping sites...they should probably stick to the RV Circuit and stay in parks that are built to accommodate them better. After an epic ride up to Dante's View (about 5000' + of elevation gain) I headed up Hwy 95 to overnight in a motel in Fernley, Nv. The hot shower felt great...one thing lacking in my Vanagon. Next day, with a really early start, I found a road I'd never taken through the mountains near Susanville, Ca. I came on north, with a great tailwind (had my trip-high tankful of gas @ 25.xx + mpg between Alturas, Ca and Madras, Or.) The return trip I logged 1550 miles and used about 75 gals of gas, making an average of 22.2mpg at about 65-70mph, most of the time. I found it difficult to restrain my right foot on some of those straight road stretches in Nv...but at almost $4 per gallon, driving at moderate speed makes sense to me..Diesel fuel was at $5.76/gal at the station in Death Valley. I saw propane advertised in Bend, Or for $2.30/gal....started me thinking again about fuels vs cost per mile.

A few thoughts on this trip: California is pretty...but it is very full of people. Weekends in California?..you might like to lie low because they come out in droves! Drivers in Nevada are a real pleasure. Unlike the ones elsewhere, they seem to be able to drive 'smoothly' and anticipate. I saw a very large Prevost motorhome 'stuck' under a Chevron filling station in a city on hwy 395. He'd driven up to the pump, then realized his behemoth was too tall after it scrunched itself under the pump canopy. He was all stressed out, shouting at everyone, yelling about having to un-hook his towed Lexus SUV to back his big rig out from under, threatening to sue, pissed-off that he had to re-enter his credit card multiple times to get enough fuel to satisfy his thirsty diesel (the pump shut off at $100...he wanted $500 worth) Poor guy! His wife was very supportive, though... I think he should stick to the interstates and fuel at the truck stops. Even a major road like US 395 was too small for that guy.

I'll post some pics of this journey soon. Sorry for the long post, but I warned everyone in the subject...grin.

Don Hanson