Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Mar 2011 13:23:20 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: intake gasket?
Comments: To: Grungy <grungy@GRUNGY.COM>

hi, yes... whistling and similar sounds ..'hiss' for example.

make sure your throttle switch is making contact at idle. it can't really idle right without that input to the ecu - at least as far as I'm cocerned.

I swear if I find time I will write up and offer my list of the .. say the top twenty things that have to be right ..but it's more than that , might 50 things , or more even.

When all those are right ...every adjsutment and sensor/input, fuel pressure, plug wires etc..etc. when all of it is really pretty right .. then they act exactly like they are suppossed to.

many waterboxer vanagons are only runnning so-so ..the ones I see anyway, which is like 50 vanagons a year or more. There are a lot of things to check on them to make sure they are right really. The tune up parts per se ....rarely why they don't act right. But those have to be right too of course, but the 'tune up parts' per se , are not the weak area at all. And very commonly I get waterboxer vans to run right after they have had lots of parts repalced by fancy shops and big money spent ...but the result still not produced from all that. Mostly I check, adjust, and clean/treat. The parts themselves are pretty well made actually. I only use Bosch tune up parts, they hardly wear in my expereince.

here's one for ya all .. how many members don't know, or forgot, that there is a felt pad under the dist rotor on a 1.9 WBXR that's for holding a few drops of oil to lube the centrifual advance mechanism ???

I have yet to see one of those that was at all oily like it should be in my shop .. not one of the last 50 1.9 wbxr engines I have worked on had any oil in that felt pad there. and sad to say .. you can pay shops all day long to replace tune up parts, and many will never even do that simple little service.

Other than the joke head gasksets on waterboxer engines .. they really are not fundamentally weak at all.. it's the people involved that's the weak area ...the owners that do or don't service things on them ..and the shops that don't attend to the little details.. It's not the engines..it's the people involved that nead to up the level some. I feel sorry for the poor vans sometimes ...they are just excellent vehicles. I see things like a grand's worth of fancy wheels and tires .. yet the nut holding the steering wheel on is scary loose. Just dumb stuff like that all the time. It's the norm almost ......I'm not exagerating that much either.

page 24.25 A and B .. for vac hoses on 1.9 wbxr engines ...that's the late version I think. there are two versions.. all the same for 83 and 84 ...for 85 ...the early ones are the 83/84 version ...the later ones are slighly different. Bit cofusing on the hoses and junctions ...but the drawing is quite good actually.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Grungy" <grungy@GRUNGY.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2011 12:16 PM Subject: Re: intake gasket?