Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Mar 2011 20:08:11 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Castor oil as lubricant

Wasn't Castrol originally castor oil? I remember how it smelled way back then. The very essence of competition!

Jim

----- Original Message ----- > From: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:49 PM > Subject: Re: Castor oil as lubricant > > > I used to race a 250 Ossa motorcycle in TT dirt track racing .. >> the exhasut smelled just wonderful, intoxicating even, with the castor two >> stroke oil we ran. >> >> >> ----- Original Message ----- >> From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> >> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >> Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2011 10:37 AM >> Subject: Castor oil as lubricant >> >> >> I Googled for the subject above and got all kinds of hits. I had no >>> idea there were so many uses for castor oil in the automotive industry. >>> I haven't read all the links obviously, but references to 40 wt motor >>> oil, manufacture of brake fluids and power steering fluids all have some >>> pertinence to Vanagons. There is a pretty interesting piece on the >>> lubricity of castor oils here. The technical content was originated by >>> an aeronautical engineer(now deceased) working in oil analysis research. >>> >>> http://www.go-cl.se/castor.html >>> >>> There are other articles - like about racing engine oil being castor oil >>> based for superior lubrication at hi heat and high RPM. >>> >>> I invite you all to seek the articles out under the above subject. >>> >>> Enjoy. >>> >>> John >>> >>> >>> -- >>> John Rodgers >>> Clayartist and Moldmaker >>> 88'GL VW Bus Driver >>> Chelsea, AL >>> Http://www.moldhaus.com >>> >>