Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:33:07 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Water tank
Comments: To: Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>

hold on...

say 0.5 US gal of 100 proof vodka (50% alc), and say tank has 45 litres of water, final conc. of alcohol will be:

1.8 % (v/v) alcohol. which will depress freezing point by not much (not going to do the delta T calc.)

say its 180 proof vodka, 90% etoh, then final conc when added to 45 litres of water will be :

3.2% (v/v)

you need 10% (v/v) to get a -4 C freezing point depression.

Half a gallon of vodka, at any available strength will not work

alistair