Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Mar 2011 16:39:56 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fix or replace? - was Surface Rust on Gas Tank  (with pics)
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>

hi .. obviously.. wasting time with used tanks that don't stay working is not so fun.

my main issue ...... is about quality of parts we have access to these days. I have to seek out suppliers that can stil get good german parts .. not always an easy thing.

I get to know parts stores pretty well in my area ... and they have a 'problem' in that most of their customers are looking for the *cheapest* part.

so they are almost needing to stock two versions of every part ..the cheap one, and a good one. They probably get asked for a 'low price' more than they do for 'a really high quality part' .. so they tend to stock the cheap stuff, it's a real problem for them.

and ..even my long time main supplier ...I've gotten say, vanagon rear wheel bearings from them for years and years .....german ones ..now all of a sudden ....their from a well known asian country that often makes very inexpesnive and cheap products. So I had to send those back.

*Fortunately* another suppler of VW parts here still knows where to find good german parts and supply them to me at a decent price.

regarding gas tanks ... I will always go for two things FIRST ...quality, and service. Somebody who is sharp at what they do .. knows parts and VW's inside and out ...is eager ..............and supplies good stuff. And I am happy to pay a bit more for a good part.

since I sometimes even get the wrong part from my long-time suppler ...I know tell them I am willing to pay extra to get the Right Part even.

There is one vanagon vendor that seems to me ..to be more focused on 'low price.' And sure ...that IS what many home vanagon techs want ...I suppose ......I don't get it. say a bargain price gas tank is ......around 160 bucks .. ( I think a few years ago 'standard' aftermarket vanagon gas tanks were about 200 bucks ) ...

now if that tank works just fine ...fine, no problem. but if it's from Tawain or wheverever and is specifically built to be 'lower priced' .... I would expect quality has to be cut somewhere .. gague of metal, qualty of metal, carefullness of construction etc.

Personally .....I would prefer to pay more for a tank I believe is made better. And afterall... if a slightly more expesnive tank is better made and longer lasting . then it would be false economy to get a cheaper tank, in the long run.

You can't always tell of course ....'higher price' by itself does not neccessarily mean 'better' ..but it should.

in my own business ...I never ever use 'low price' to attract customers. I use 'sheer intention to do the best job possible and deliver good value.'

that's a key word ...'value' .. 'value' to me means you are getting the most for what you pay ..and that that investment will 'stick.'

given that perception ...then I would want the better made longer lasting gas tank .....that would be 'value' to me. for some .....it might me low price. Maybe they just want to get it running and know they'll sell it ..so their goal is only say a few years of good use, not 10 or more years of good service out of it.

I do buy bargain priced tools ...*sometimes* ..half the time I regaret it. I've gotten some fine engine stands for the price at HF ...love that kind of stuff. I've also gotten some pure junk from them ....dolley wheels that are not even close to round for example. So there is risk with 'low price' often.

that's what I am getting at. and frankly ... for some parts pushing the price thing down has gone too far. What good is a new part that doesn't even work or fit right ..or doesn't last very well ? not much to me. take coolant pressure bottle level sensors . I think I've paid $ 2.50 for one of those from my long time wholesale supplier. Where do you think those are made ??

same for Temp Sensor II gizmo's. I think it's that part ..on Van Cafe's site ..they mention ..'we sell the OE part .'

I think the price difference between elcheapo off shore made one and OE is 6 versus 25 dollars. Some will want the cheap ..some the good one. I mainly want high quality. ...and a fair price.

that's what most people want ..those two elements exactly ...'good value' ....'fair price.'

A major thing that is missing .....a lot ..is 'education.' here's how a lot of shops quote a job ..or try to sell a job... they just lay the 'big number' on the customer .. 'your wbxr engine's heads are shot..........it's $ 2,500-plus to repair.'

that gives people little choice...and no thought that the shop cares what a big problem that is for the custoemr. So often ..people will even bail on the van, or just park it etc.

On the other hand ... if the shop was considerate enough, and caring enough, and intellegent enough to *explain* the various possible levels of repairs .......and the ramifications and risks of each level of repair .. and whatever options there are ... the customer could tell they care and are invested and intersted in delivering those two key things.. good value at a fair price. Actually ...that is SO RARE in the service industry .. that those who do that will get more business than they can ever handle.

That's 'personal relationship' going on too. If I was selling parts as my main business... I would do a lot of propaganda showing why what I offer is a very fair deal. And I would sure not make 'low price' an important focus.

if ever anyone calls asking for a price on a job ...and I can tell they are price shopping .. I just tell them ..I am not trying to be the cheapest shop in town ..but the best, the most caring who tries like hell to delver great value, results and service. that whole 'low price thing' ... hey ...we do the fastest cheapest water pump jobs in town !!

that means you have to do fast slopppy work.......more or less. and ...how many of say 10 cheap water pump jobs are going to really 'stick'. Not all of them, that's for sure. then.....you get pissed off customers .. because ...... the bottom line is .............the shop didn't sell the job right.

the right way to sell a cheap job is to make sure they understand it's *all about* keeping it cheap ..and you takes your chances ...if it fires up and doesn't overheat going aroudn the block ....we're done. but of course they don't sell it that way.

just in one 13 year period of my career I estimate I did 7,000 car jobs, in Sausalito Ca, 1986 to 1999. All kinds of repair ..brake jobs, timing belts, ....head jobs, water pumps...electrical .. etc on everyting ..honda, toyota, jaguar, mercedes .....vovlo , Hyundai, subaru ..etc. etc. etc etc... and .. THE ONE THING I learned more than anything ..it's all about *how you sell the job* . that is where you make or break it right there ( and of course workmanship has to be basically perfect too ) .

Sorry ..got carried away .. so ...sure ...go ahead with the price point gas tank .. and most of the tme it will work out.

AND if they really are decent at a lower price ...fine !

it's the stuff that genuinely is not that good even when new that I want to see not happening. that's what you are hearing in my statements.

last paragraph ...you really don't have a lot to go on .. I invested in a very bargain price 1.9 diesel head .( so far not used on an engine ). the guy I bought it from said........'I have not had any customers having any problems with them.'

when I asked on line about this ..a very experienced diesel only tech said ... 'don't do it. I had one fail in 5,000 miles on a customer's van.'

THAT is what I am getting at ...cheap stuff shouldn't even be around as far as I'm concerned. I'm fine with things that are built well.. and the price is kept down some ..no problem.

it's the stuff that you can't trust ...or that's just a bit too cheaply made that I'm against.

about 'educating' and 'selling the job right' ... if I sell that head ... I'll be telling them.....".it's likely from you-know-where ...and you are taking a chance. But the price is low." ( < and for some low dollar guy...that might be fine. heck ...they might even say years later it worked out just fine , but I know there is risk.>

of of course ..if it only cost 1/3 of what a new german one costs, but it blows up in a year say .. you havn't saved any money.

*Quality* baby ...........nothin' like it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <becida@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2011 3:47 PM Subject: Re: Fix or replace? - was Surface Rust on Gas Tank (with pics)