Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:14:49 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@Q.COM>
Subject:      Re: An intro and Throttle Body leak question
Comments: To: dingham605@AOL.COM

You don't say where you are. Listmembers are known to drop by and take a look at problems of this nature. Some have spare parts, especially for 1.9L.

Karl Wolz

|-----Original Message----- |From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of |Susie Ingham |Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:58 AM |To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM |Subject: An intro and Throttle Body leak question | | | | Hi- |I've been a lurker here for a while, I thought i would introduce myself and |ask a question. | My husband and i have been bringing a 1984 Westy back to life. It had been |sitting for 8 years when we bought it last summer, it was not running. long |story short after much toil and trial ( we're not the most experienced |mechanics) we got it running pretty well and took it out for our maiden |camping trip last week-end. All went well except for a couple of minor |glitches. before I get into that I'll give you a brief list of what we've |done on the van so far. | | |Compression good right around 175 on all 4 cylinders, according to our test |New ECU ( I know they "never" go bad but ours was) coil, plugs, plug wires, |shad injectors cleaned, new fuel pressure regulator, replaced all fuel |lines, vacuum advance unit was replaced |There is no catalytic convertor, it is just a hollow shell. | now in order to get it running relatively well, Hubby had advanced the |timing-- otherwise the throttle body response was very slow. There seems |to be a leak in the shaft of the Throttle body-- we switched it out with |another ( used) and it too leaks around the shaft and has a poor fit |between the butterfly and the housing. | | On our trip we had these two issues... | a couple of times it died at a stop sign. |it got terrible gas mileage ( around 12 mpg) | |So now we are contemplating buying a rebuilt throttle body ( at 350 |dollars, ouch) but I'm a little bit hesitant in spending the cash if it's |not going to fix it for sure. BTW we know there's a leak in the tb because |we blow smoke into the vac line and it pretty readily escapes through the |TB. | | so yes it does seem like a tb is in order, but like I said I hate to part |with the cash-- does it seem likely that a new Tb is warranted? We haven't |taken it to a mechanic yet, our plan was to replace the Tb, then take it |to the mechanics to have everything adjusted if needed.( Afm, etc) | |what do you think? | thanks in advance, Susie