Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Mar 2011 23:04:59 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Windshield replacement questions
Comments: To: Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>

OK, I gotta tell my windshield replacement story on a '77 Bay. Called Safelite, they wanted over $300.00 for the windshield. Looked on line and found "windshieldstogo.com" and they were just around a $100.00, but shipping was going to be a killer. But, no, wait, the website said call for local warehouse locations and save shipping costs. So I did! A nice young lady gave me the location of the nearest warehouse to me, and imagine my surprise when I found it-Safelite Auto Glass, the very same one I had called. When the guy brought it out from the back (waaaaay back, he was gone about a 1/2 hour) it was covered in dust. It was PPG, and it fit perfectly.

Jeff Stewart

----- "Old Volks Home" <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

Not necessarily so, AAA may be just the right place. Safelight is usually the higher priced outfit, no matter what part of the country you're in. When I had my 80 Vanagon Windshield replaced some years back, I had a local glass shop (Redding, CA) do the job right in my driveway for about that price. Not a Chinese piece either, it was PPG glass and a genuine seal sourced from the dealer.

This is not to say that Chinese made may be what the cheaper guys are using now, but it is possible.

Safelight has always been the higher priced outfit for replacement glass, seal and installation when I have done comparisons for Bugs, Ghias and Bay Windows, either in SoCal or in Northern Cal.

Just my nickel's worth....:) -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" Full Timing Since March 1999 oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM, B Feddish <uprightbassghost@hotmail.com> wrote: > After lots of people suggested I check into having my windshield replaced I > did some shopping around. The best price was $189 from AAA and the next > price was Safelight which was about $325. That's a substantial difference. > Is there something wrong with the AAA service or something? Is Safelite > overprice? > > Thanks, > Bryan