Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Mar 2011 19:21:45 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: How to fix the digital clock?
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@mac.com>

>The digital clock is fed from pin 5 of the panel connector*, skinny >red wire which comes from a double connection to pin 7 of radio >connector T8. Fat red wire proceeds from there to connector T2c >(which feeds the inside lights with skinny red wires) and thence to >fuse/relay panel pin B12 and fuse S3.

*That's the flat connector that plugs onto the instrument panel itself. It's got 14 positions which are numbered along the end of the connector, but I'm pretty sure that's the only red wire in the bunch, and pin 4, next to it, is empty. Assuming your door lights and such work (the dimmable lights are fed by gray wires with blue stripes, by the way) we'll start at that connector. Pull it gently down off the panel. If you're good at feeling out shapes, you can reach up behind the rear blower switch and find a bundle of wires lining up into a flat connector with plastic wings/flanges extending down toward you on the long sides. Gently pull the connector out from between the wings and bring it down below the panel, keeping track of the orientation for when you put it back (which you must also do gently. Don't force anything, even a little. When it's lined up right it will slip on quite easily). If you can't feel your way from below you can probably see with a light and mirror. Taking out the instrument cluster is the hard way at this point.

Now verify which is pin 5 with the red wire out the back, and use your voltmeter or test light to check for +12V from that pin to ground. Be very gentle with the contact, don't force your meter probe in between the two sides.

If you do have +12 there, plug the plug back in and out gently a couple times and see if your clock is now working. If it is, you're finished. If it isn't, we'll talk about that next time.

If you do *not* have +12 there, take out the ashtray and maybe the instrument panel cover and gently see if you can verify that the red wire joins a bigger red wire on one of the plugs at the rear of the radio, and that the radio works. And we'll take it from there.

Yours, David