Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Mar 2011 23:55:32 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Lower alternator bolt
Comments: To: Ed Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>

At 10:52 PM 3/17/2011, Ed Duntz wrote: >I didn't look so closely at the spare engine to see how that mount >is attached to the engine, but I'd rather not have to take that off. >I'm wondering if there is enough room back there to put a standard >bolt with a hex head. I know there's room to get the bolt in, >because obviously the carriage bolt slides in and out, but I'm >wondering about room for a socket to hold it in place.

How are you planning to get the carriage bolt out if it's spinning in the hole?

To get to the bracket mount bolts you have to unbolt the water pipe that crosses just aft of them, pull it out of the water pump and wiggle it around until you have access for a socket.

Once you've got the carriage bolt sorted, there's room to get a wrench in from the side, at least on non power-steering setups and I presume on them as well. My '84 had a regular bolt and I don't *think* the hole was squared off for a carriage bolt. My '89 has a regular bolt with a flanged nut that grabs hold well enough finger tight that I don't have to get a wrench on it, so I've not tested the power steering proposition - except that every kind of working in that area is easier with the p/s pump either rotated away or removed completely and laid aside.

You may take it from Millee that overtorquing the bracket mounting nuts is not something you wish to do. For reasons that seemed good at the time a man in Santa Fe put in oversize 10 mm studs, pulled them out of the case bosses, put in Timeserts and pulled *those* out of the bosses. That didn't leave a whole lot of boss to recover with. https://picasaweb.google.com/dbeierl/MilleeSAlternatorBracket#

Yours, David