Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Mar 2011 08:43:52 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Spring trip
Comments: To: WetWesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Here's a link to a couple of pics of my recent return trip from the desert SW (USA) to the Columbia Gorge, east of Portland, Or.

I came up the "Inland route" through Nevada central Oregon, with a stop to do a bike ride in Death Valley.

I drove into Death Valley late night in the dark,striving to beat a predicted storm. It was blustery and cold and I made a few wrong turns, getting pretty turned around in my mind after a very long day behind the wheel. (84 low top westie interior..2.0liter ABA inline Jetta motor..5sp tranny) I was navigating, alone, with paper map and vague memories of a previous visit.

https://picasaweb.google.com/dhanson928/DeathValley?authkey=Gv1sRgCNDc7P_suc3v6QE#

Woke before dawn in Furnace Creek and started my coffee right from bed. Climbed on the bike at 1st light at 260' below sea level. Having arrived in pitch dark, it was interesting, re-tracing part of my arrival route as the sun rose... comparing the reality with what I'd imagined the night before.

Had a good bike ride up to Dante/s View..about 50 miles (round trip) with significant climbing. I was struggling my bike and body up the final mile at 18% gradient (yes, 18% as confirmed by my Garmin gps bike computer) and a vanagon just barely passed me, also struggling mightily . Automatic, WBX motor, two toned blue. He gave me a "thumbs up" but I couldn't return the salute...

I rode back to my van at Furnace Creek by about 11am, then headed on north, up 95 through the High Lonesome of Nevada, one of my all-time favorite places. I did not stop at the Shady Lady "Ranch"...But by the time I reached Fernley, east of Reno...a hot shower and a warm commercial bed (Stupor 8 Motel) seduced me. It was in the low 30s and there aren't many camping spots around Reno/Carson City.

The next morning over coffee, I spied a road I had never taken, north out of Susanville, Ca. Since the predicted storm had not materialized, Idrove it through the mountains south east of Klamath Falls. Made it home to Washington before dark, after another long day.

The trees in Eastern Oregon were showing just the barest traces of green, the willows were gaining some color. Early calves were napping along the way, and the hawks were soaring.

An excellent trip!