Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:40:56 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Nedd Help With Gauge Cluster
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>,
          Wetwesties <Wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Ahhh, the VDO Mini Cockpit Gauge Cluster of the late 70s. I've got one of those stashed away in a box somewhere. I use to run it on a 69 Hardtop Camper back in those days. If memory serves, I believe the Temp Gauge was calibrated for Oil Temp Senders of the day, but newer references I have show that it would be used with a water temp sender as well.

In fact, despite my rather BIG catalog reference collection, the earliest VDO catalog at my fingertips is March 1986, which doesn't show the cluster anymore. But the senders for the individual gauges are what was used of the time period.

But the senders are the following are compatible (or possibly compatible) for a 90 2WD Westy:

VDO 360 023 (10x1 thread) that powers the oil pressure gauge and & dash warning light (two posts). This sender would mount on the bottom left of the engine cases in place of the pressure sender there. Not sure if there's enough room to do it there. You may have to rig up a pipe to route from underneath to front or rear, then mount the sender on that to utilize that. VDO use to make a hose extension to do just that a long time ago (VDO 240 850), but that's no longer available either. Note: if your lucky to have the VDO hose assembly, you have to use the VDO 360 009 sender (1/8-27NPT threads). One other thing - the Warning Light contact activates at 7psi, not the usual 2-4psi of the stock sender.

VDO 323 423 is the recommended water temp sender, which is identical to the 1.9 and Syncro 2.1 as it is threaded and is interchangeable with the OE switch (VW 049 919 501). But since you have a 2wd with the slip-in sensor, I do not know if it is compatible (signal wise). If using with oil temp monitoring (either engine or auto trans), VDO 323 055 is the recommended sender - of course the tranny pan will have to be drilled and a 14x1.5 thread jamb nut with sealing washer used to hold it in place - VDO use to offer it this way under VDO 323 888 for the oil plates on 1600 VW engines, but it hasn't been available that way for over a decade now (they always discontinue the "good" stuff).

The Voltmeter is of course hook to a circuit that's hot all of the time, such as the Black Wire coming from the Ignition Switch. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" 75 914 1.8 "Nancy" Full Timing Since March 1999 oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com *********************************** On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: > I acquired this nice compact (just 6" across) VDO gage cluster a while back. > > Picture here > < > https://picasaweb.google.com/starwagen/GuageCluster?authkey=Gv1sRgCMzA8NXO1-eX-AE# >> >  I'm running into trouble trying to figure out what sending units I need to > install this in my '90 Westy.  Can anyone either provide the data on the > sending units or point me to a website or vendor that can give me enough > info to get started?  I have planned on hooking the temp gage to the auto > trans and the other two to electric and oil pressure.