Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Mar 2011 20:29:37 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1983 Westy Propane Tank Question
Comments: To: Steven Yoon <drssyoon@GMAIL.COM>

At 07:57 PM 3/19/2011, Steven Yoon wrote: >At this point, my tank is empty and I am not sure whether my filler valve >needs repair/replacement. I read on the web that Westy tank needs to be >filled slowly because the valve sometimes get stuck open due to the cold. Is >there a way to tell whether my tank is a goner?

I'm not an authority on this but I suspect not. I suspect your troubles are from freezing from when the, um, is there another word for idiot? vented the tank back through the fill valve.

>By the way, when the U Haul guy filled the tank, he did not open the >pressure relief valve (the little one to the right of the filler valve). >Could this have damaged the filler valve somehow?

Steven, you are extraordinarily fortunate that the filling idiot ran into the problem, because he viciously overfilled the tank and it could have exploded if it got hot. The bleed valve MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST be open while filling - it is what allows the Autostop valve to know when the max fill level has been reached and it should shut off, and it is what lets the attendant know when to stop filling a manual system. Newer tanks have a float-operated shutoff valve, but this one does not.

Yours, David