Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:00:57 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Nexen SV820

I got a set of four of those for Xmas one year (!) and I bought a fifth to round out the set. They were relatively inexpensive. They now have ~30k on them, with a good bit of tread left. I check the pressure once a month and rotate them (all five) at around 5k and other than that I rarely ever think about them. We get serious winds around here in the spring and fall (gusts of 50-75 mph are common), and while the van obviously still rocks it doesn't squirrel around like it used to with whatever garbage I had on there before.

I've had the van loaded to the limit and haven't noticed any difference in behavior or feel that I would attribute to the tires. I run them slightly above the sticker pressures. I drive moderately/conservatively, mostly on pavement and occasionally on washboard dirt roads (I live in the desert SW). The tires don't give off much road noise; basically I can't hear them over the other van noises unless I listen to pick the sound out of the mix. I don't often drive in the rain, extreme cold, or snow/ice, but on those occasions that I have I had no issues with the tires. For instance; I got caught in an ice/snow storm west of Flagstaff a few years ago, and I drove in a proverbial "torrential downpour" on the way to L.A. recently and in both cases I almost pulled off to wait it out (but didn't), but not because of the tires. In other words, they were good to my acceptable tolerance of all other conditions. I wouldn't hesistate to buy another set, but I'm hoping to go to a larger wheel before I wear these out.

Cya, Robert '87 & '86 Auto GLs