Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Mar 2011 08:51:15 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter
Comments: To: titantic01@aol.com

The sympton you describe can also be caused by a lack of current available to the starter. Maybe that ground wire is bad. On the 1.9L and air cooled vans the wire from the battery to the starter is also a bit undersized and may have internal corroision making it part of the problem. A bad battery can also be a problem. If the problem happens more on a warm engine than cold another possibility is over-advanced ignition timing. What is happening is that the spark is firing as the piston is traveling toward the head and the starter doesn ot have enough torque to overcome this. As for teeth missing it is easy enough to remove the starter and inspect the teeth by turning the engine. Dennis > Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 00:48:30 -0400 > From: titantic01@AOL.COM > Subject: RE: Starter > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Bad choice of wording. when I said the starter stalled while trying the engine, I ment it will turn pretty slowly and then the starter it self stops and I have to release the key and then turn the key back to the start position and the starter will again engage and may or may not start the car or it may stop cranking once again. > I do not think it is the teeth on the ring gear because the starter does not "Free whell" like their are any teeth missing. I have never ever had any problem with the starter engaging and starting the car until the old starter went bsd. > Monday, I will be calling this shop and they are just going to have to replace it again. > They also broke the little trim ring on the hatch lock and didn't put the plastic cover back over the battery which caused the negitive braded batt cable to get burned slightly. > Anyone know of a better VW repair shop in the Springfield, MO area?? The dealer here like many other places don't work on these ollder vehilcles any more. > Chris