Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Mar 2011 16:31:05 -0400
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and
              ignored.
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>
Comments: cc: Ben Tan <syncro@gmail.com>, joel walker <uncajoel@bellsouth.net>

At 01:10 PM 3/20/2011, Rob wrote: >I know, it's 'our' list but the folks who have the power to toss me >off (and yes, I 'voted' them in) because , just because, gives them a >lot more ownership than I have. It is their list. <shrug>

There's a strong recursive element there. If this list has an owner *as such* it wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out it was Coyote (and I mean a real person, not Loki/The Trickster etc - interesting thought, though). But the spirit of the list definitely belongs to the members; Ben and I are merely keepers of it to the best of our abilities. I've got a bit more to say about that below.

>Owsley and a lot of others are part of MY vw myth, most of them I >never met but they are as real & linked to this VW I sitting in right

<snip>

Eloquently said, and as the advocate of the community side of the list I hope to have more to say about that on Friday.

Back to moderation. I've been thinking about this for a little while and am bringing it up now to give folks a chance, NOT to discuss it now - is that clear? - but to think about it and talk about it on Friday. Understand these are my private thoughts and I haven't discussed them with anyone, but I'm using moderator's privilege to bring them up now.

I don't really know the circumstances of Coyote's handover to Tom C except that it happened. Tom C evidently had more than enough and dragooned Jim Arnott (who, though you may not know it, has been tremendously important behind the scenes of the list since the beginning) to take over, so he'd had more than enough before he started. He stuck it out too long and abruptly couldn't take it any more, and there were some difficult weeks that finally resulted in Ben and me moderating, while Jim (so far) continues to administer the list itself - for one thing we haven't yet figured out how to add me to gerry's list of administrators, and I still haven't (mea culpa) dug through the listserv manuals, light reading for a sunny afternoon or six. And Tom C continues to provide physical space and donate bandwidth but doesn't want to talk about the list except in emergencies.

I think that shows up a systemic weakness in how we deal with moderation here. Burning through moderators isn't a wholesome way to do things, and I speak as one of the present moderators. <g> Back to that in a minute.

There has also been an evolution in how people view the list. When Coyote or Tom were running things it seemed pretty clear to all that it was indeed "their list" and if anyone complained about one of their actions, someone else would immediately pipe up and say, in effect, "like it or lump it, but shut up. It's his list, he runs it how he pleases." And changes in moderators were closely held, with the list being informed after the fact. That's different now, very different. And I can't really speak to how Coyote or TomC themselves viewed their roles, but I can say very clearly that Ben and I are servants of the list, not masters of it. That servitude runs in two directions; toward the original spirit of the list, and to the present members of it individually and as a group. If at any time we begin to feel like masters, then we're no longer fit to be moderators and exercise the power that moderators hold to make and enforce policy. Likewise if we fall below at least some minimum level of skill we're not fit for the job.

Back to the systems. I don't know how Ben feels, but I personally am very much enjoying moderating this list and seeing it be a place where five generations of people can rub shoulders with a good deal of civility and accommodation for others' foibles, and where for the last year or more the moderators have seldom had to speak up. Don't think it's perfect, don't think we're perfect; don't expect either to be perfect. The community folks are gradually starting to chafe a bit more and feel the balance is too far toward the gearheads. I say "more" - there has always been tension between those two viewpoints, with Ben and I each advocating for one of them and trying to keep a fair balance.

So I think two moderators, each with an explicit tendency in one of those directions, is a very very good thing and we should continue it. However I also think that not only should we not burn out moderators, but that in any case we should bring in fresh blood from time to time; so I propose the following talking points:

1) That moderating - this list anyway, is not an onerous, thankless duty but in fact if approached with a certain amount of detachment a very rewarding one, and actually fairly well sprinkled with direct thanks. It does require the ability to listen, occasionally including to things about yourself you may not wish to hear; to not take things personally, to respond to anger with calm; but not generally at a very taxing level; to not obsess about mistakes. Most of those come under the heading of detachment.

2) That moderators serve for two years on an alternating schedule, i.e the gearhead being replaced one year, the community guy the next.

3) That incoming moderators are subject to recall by popular vote with a simple (2/3?) majority of those voting, a quorum not being required; in which case the previous moderator would return and if willing finish out the term. Some minimum number of "signatures" would be required to initiate a recall vote - 100? - and no discussion about this would be permitted on list, even on Friday; at the moderators' discretion an announcement might be made that so-and-so had started a list to discuss a recall vote. Moderators would agree not to attempt to discover composition or internal workings of said group. In case of a recall, moderators would appoint someone to verify minimum number of signatures and to receive and count the votes and announce the total. Voting period say one week, and votes could be retracted or changed. I'm well aware that something like this could be rigged, but if we're willing to descend to that level, what the heck are we doing here anyway? A lesser step would be for the incoming moderator to resign, either for his own reasons or because he and/or the other moderator had received enough complaints that after discussion he deemed it wise. In either case, the former moderator would again return and at his discretion either finish out the term or after a few months for things to calm down, initiate the process to bring in a new one.

4) That incoming moderators be chosen - how? I submit that two viable possibilities, mirrors of each other, are: a) a list of candidates be thrown up by the members, and a choice made by the existing mods with the outgoing having final say. b) a list of candidates be thrown up by the outgoing mod in consultation with the other mod, and decision made by vote of the members. I think that b) is logistically much more practical in our situation. In fact I think a) would be totally impractical, so I guess I shouldn't say it's viable.

5) That if a single candidate only is presented, the members can vote not to accept him or her.

6) That if no new moderator is found, a further attempt is made at three-month intervals until one is.

7) That there is nothing to prevent a previous moderator from serving again, quite the reverse.

Let me make clear that I'm not the least bit tired of doing this and so far as I know Ben isn't either. He can speak for himself. And discussion/debate about this must itself remain a) a Friday subject and b) civil or *it* will be moderated and given a week to cool off. There's no hurry, no huhu, no cause to get feathers ruffled. If we seem to come to some sort of agreement in principle, or to a clear set of differing viewpoints, perhaps down the road a few people can get together and turn them into a concrete set of proposals.

One last time for the hard of listening - I encourage voluminous response to me personally, but no response to *this* post whatsoever may occur on list. Early Friday I'll post the content under a new subject heading and it can proceed from there. Friday in this case will mean 0000 EDT to 2400 PDT.* I will not be tolerant of people sneaking in posts over the time limit - your deathless prose will be just as deathless a week later. "Not be tolerant" in this case means more than just wagging the finger and saying tsk tsk.

*If people living outside CONUS tell me in reasonable numbers that they'd rather have their local 24 hour day I'll change it to that for them. Of course they'll lose three hours. <g>

Yours, d mod