Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Mar 2011 08:52:39 -0600
From:         Paul Connelly <vanagonhummingbird@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Westy Interior Lighting

Hi All,

Been away from the list for a couple of years - not enough time to get out camping! Anyway, digging Hummingbird out of her winter snowbank and looking forward to some springtime in the Rockies!

I finally "lost" the original light fixture below the rear shelf and I'm looking for newer solutions. I tried fitting 4 CCFL 12" tubes with two matching brown/gold rocker switches all neatly set up in and on the bead on the front face of the rear shelf (perfect size). Seemed to me to be a really bright and tidy solution with all of the wiring hidden in routed paths in the shelf itself and the inverters fitting neatly into the cavities on the frame behind the shelf. Problem is, to run to the inverters you need to cut and extend the wires between the inverters and the tubes. They seem to be hyper sensitive to this and I could never get even or consistent lighting from the CCFL tubes after that. In order to make my "tidy" solution work it required just drilling a pinhole through the bead on the shelf so that the wires disappeared as soon as they exited the CCFL tube. So even if I could find a solution without extending the wires I would still have to cut them and re-solder them to keep it neat.

So my question is - whats the current thinking on the newest solutions to this lighting for the cabin. I had a search of the archives and saw the postings on the dot lights and LED's etc. Has anyone found a nice neat wired solution that improves the overall lighting in the cabin? Obviously utilizing some newer technologies with low draws from the house battery.

Cheers,

Paul.

'86 Syncro Westy Hummingbird

PS If anyone has a brown window crank or two from a Vanagon/Jetta/Rabbit etc that fit I could use them too. Oh, and.....