Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Mar 2011 22:04:28 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Asheville NC area camping suggestions please
Comments: To: Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>

There's a small private campground just down a side road on Hwy 19 outside Bryson City called Silvermines campground. Just off the Nantahala river and the Nantahala Coutdoor Center. Right where the Appalachian Trail crosses the Nantahala. Great place for boaters, hikers, Mtn. bikers and there used to be a restaurant called Aurelia's Garden at the NOC, but that was 15 years ago. The NOC has hostel rooms too. That area brings back a lot of fun river memories. The outdoor store is really well stocked too.. About an hour away from Asheville.

DM&FS

At 09:12 PM 3/15/2011, Chris S wrote: >I travel to Asheville area all the time. I recommend Asheville East >KOA which puts you in close proximity to the Blue Ridge Parkway(BRP), >which you absolutely must drive. The route up the Parkway from >Asheville past Craggy Gardens up to top of Mount Mitchell is stunning. >If you're in good cycling shape you can bike up the BRP from the Folk >Art Center to Mt. Mitchell. That takes you up from about 2200 feet to >5500 in around 15 miles, if memory serves correctly, with the round >trip of about 27 miles. Otherwise the Craggy Gardens ride to Mt. >Michell will give the best views without killing you, much. Heading >the opposite way is Mt. Pisgah with Mt. Pisgah campground. They >recently got HOT showers and camping rates are very reasonable. >Cycling from there will take you south along less demanding inclines, >but the views are open for wide vistas. > >Otherwise there are many campgrounds in the area just off BRP. North >Mills River campground is very primitive but offers campsites just off >a gravel road that climbs all the way up to BRP. Carolina Hemlocks is >the east side of Mt. Mitchell with showers. Camping in that area us >also available off the meandering forest roads if you like it quiet >and very, very dark at night. > >Asheville West KOA is quiet with surprisingly quick access to >Asheville, but puts you out of quick reach to BRP. > >If timing works out I may drive up to Asheville around the same time >from Atlanta. > >Chris. > >Wysłane z iPhone'a > >Dnia Mar 15, 2011 o godz. 21:25 turbowesty <turbowesty@GMAIL.COM> >napisał(a): > >>I am headed down to NC for a week of relaxing and cycling in mid >>April (starting out from up here in Toronto) and I'm interested in >>hearing suggestions for a night or two on the way down plus personal >>favourites for camping in and around Asheville. And any good tips on >>bike routes!!! >> >>There are 3 objectives to this trip... one is testing out my Vanagon >>for upcoming long trips (I retire in 8 days), two is relaxing (30 >>years, I deserve a break), and three is getting in some great bike >>rides / training rides (still want to stay fit!). >> >>So... I'm all ears! Fire away... (pmail if it's NVC). >> >>Regards, Peter Kraiker >>nextchapter.kraikerphoto.com >>Toronto, ON, Canada >>'82 L Westfalia 1.9 TD 5 Spd (Babe)