Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Mar 2011 12:35:27 -0400
From:         Ed <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: fancy front wheel bearing nut with clamp

I don't like the peen nut either.

As Zoran mention, the late-60s to early-70s VWs used the clamp type of wheel nut. The part numbers of the wheel clamp nut for the 66-79 Beetle, 66-76 Ghia and Type 3, and 73-74 Thing are 131-405-669 (left) and 313-405-670 (right). A picture can be seen at www2.cip1.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=VWC-131-405-669. However these will NOT work on the Vanagon because they are smaller thread diameter. I know because I bought a set to use on my Vanagon and they were too small. I don't know if another model had a different size nut.

The rotational force caused by load on the bearing should not cause these to loosen because the washer between the nut and the bearing is keyed to the slot in the spindle threads and thus will not turn. However, the viscous nature of the grease may exert some minor force on the nut as the wheel turns. Of course, careful assembly is always critical. A good practice is to always torque fasteners properly when they are assembled so they are not forgotten later.

The advantage of using this type of nut over the peen type Vanagon nut is to be able to repack wheel bearings and then reassemble without buggering up the the spindle threads and to also allow for readjusting the bearing pre-load after initial assembly.

Cheers, Ed

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:09:41 -0700, Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>This fancy clamp is the same one used on all VW bugs after about 1965. They work excellent, are easily re-moved and installed, and are reusable. They are a very nice improvement over the Vanagon nut.

and, in another post on the same day: