Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:08:45 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine analyzer/tach recco?
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

At 05:43 PM 3/24/2011, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: >I was asleep at the back of the class when that post came out. Can >someone point me to it?

I can, I made it. Wait one.

=================================

We got Sally's ('85 1.9l Westy) alternator bracket dealt with,* cracking bleeder valve/big hose coupler replaced, heater box back together, and dash reinstalled except for heater controls some weeks ago, and she's been driving it.

*and there's a Santa Fe shop that needs to go on the list as both incompetent and stinkers.

Today we tackled driveability and mileage. When Sally came to me she was idling around 1500 rpm, which worked because the closed-throttle switch wasn't working. It was also as low as you could get with the idle screw, so I machined a little extension on the plug that let it extend in far enough to touch the butterfly - this let the idle come down. I didn't chamfer the edge so it whistled loudly with small throttle openings, and the switch adjustment was stuck; so for the present I substituted a 2.1l throttle body I had for Sally's (which was also a 2.1l, curiously enough). With that I could get the idle down to where the idle stab started to work; but it was running rich, bad mileage, and if you declutched and let the engine idle from 2k or so it might very well almost die then recover, or occasionally it might just die. It was very boggy until about 2k and not very strong above that.

We knew that at least three people had breathed on the AFM and someone had pulled the cover off the idle mixture screw; and the last person in the AFM "adjusted it for the 7,000 ft altitude" of Santa Fe. Millee commented that whenever she stopped the vehicle at the artist's residence where she spent the summer there, people would ask here what the gasoline smell was. (!)

T-I and T-II senders tested normal. We checked fairly carefully for air leaks into the intake system. Putting a scope on the O2 sensor showed the ECU operating in closed loop, but with sensor voltage going above 0.8 volts and just barely dipping below 0.5. Tailpipe smelled very rich.

We applied this method: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=356377&highlight=afm+adjustment to adjust the AFM. When we began the idle mixture screw was out 6 1/3 turns, the wiper position had not been disturbed and was lined up precisely with the bottom edge of the carbon track, and the spring was at some unknown setting.

After a couple of adjustment cycles we had not changed the wiper position, the mixture screw was out 1 5/6 turns instead of 6 1/3, and the spring was thirteen teeth clockwise (stronger) than before. This was not perfect, but it was well within the range that the O2 sensor and ECU could deal with in closed-loop mode, so we left it at that for the present and called it good. The switch on Millee's throttle body had been adjusted - a trial fit revealed that with the extended idle plug screwed all the way in we still could only get down to 3,000 rpm idle! So we put mine back in and went for a drive. It behaved just as you'd expect a 1.9l Westy to, and Millee was gleefully amazed. So was I - at the combination of things all wrong at once that *had* to be all wrong at once for it to idle with the existing setup.

There's still an occasional unexplained engine stop when declutching at low speed (n of 2 so far). We were too busy appreciating the otherwise normal behavior to be studying the tach at those points.

A good day. More odds and ends, the transmission still to swap, and a really nasty throttle body to try to rebuild - but the great ship Sally sails again, and people aren't gagging as she sails by.

Yours, David