Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:22:50 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternator question

> > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Greg Potts > Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:05 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Alternator question > > Hi Volks, > > There are two issues I have noticed recently with my 87 Wolfsburg... > > firstly, the alternator belt has been shrieking like a banshee; mostly at > start-up, but occasionally I have noticed it at stoplights or when revving > slightly as I am pulling away from the curb. The belt tension is good and > the belt seems to be in good shape. Over the weekend I swapped the > alternator with a good condition slightly used unit this week I am seeing > the same results. I have purchased a replacement belt but haven't had > opportunity to install it yet as the weather here has turned for the worse > this week. > > The other thing I have noticed is that the alternator is not charging until > I throttle the engine up to around 2500 rpms. It sits at 12V after I start > the engine and doesn't rise to 14V until I blip the throttle. > Once it comes up to 14 it stays there until the engine is shut off again, > with minor drops depending on load. > > Comments? >

some alternator comments.

I, too, had sometime-belt noise on start-up for a while..Mine was sounding-off only if I'd left a load on the alternator..like when I turned the van off with the headlights still on and then re-started it..the belt would slip some. On mine, it WAS the belt tension, even though I thought it was just right. I tightened it a little more and the noise stopped.

I also swapped in a new voltage regulator, trying for slightly more current to my auxiliary battery. I did get a little better charging rate, (I do not have the numbers handy, but it was about .1x v higher at the aux battery) and I now have a known 'good-enuf' spare V.R. in my traveling spares.

I recently returned from an extended 'voyage' in the van, operating without my solar panel (forgot it)...using only the alternator to try to keep up with my Aux battery use. My 60 amp alternator (84 van with a cabriolet/jetta inline motor) was not quite keeping up with my sat. radio/lap top charging/cell phone, etc etc. So when I got home, I found the 90-amp alternator that came mounted on my recent $300 replacement motor, a 2.0 l ABA from a 93 Jetta. Looks like a fit, so I took it for function testing.

I took it to a chain autoparts store, O'Reily's, and they tested it for free on a very cool computer machine...The Counterman looked it up, cheerfully took my alternator and connected matching plugs and wires from a cabinet beneath his touch screen unit, and pushed all the proper buttons, which spun the alternator and read the output...He ran 3 tests, saying "Usually, an alternator will test "bad" after it is warmed up"...It tested good, and the clerk handed it back with a smile...About 3 minutes...

How refreshing!

So I shall be putting the 90 amp Jetta alternator on the van soon, and relegating the 60amp one to my Traveling Spares, which now almost fill the rear under bench seat compartment.

Don Hanson