Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Mar 2011 20:17:34 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott3@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: leaking final drive oil pan (AT)

Went to the flaps at lunch and got some right stuff black in the 3oz can. The flaps guy tried to talk me into getting the regular tube of black RTV at about 1/2 the price. He said it was the same stuff, and the can of right stuff did say it was black RTV. It also said it was special elastomeric something. Based on specific list experience of success, I went with right stuff. Checked out my pan and it definitely had been way over tightened, all the bolt holes were raised up above the level of the sealing surface. I probably could have straightened it out and used the gasket. So I put the right stuff from it's fancy can all around the pan and slapped that thing up there. Pretty easy. torqued diagonally to 7 ft/lbs. waited 5 minutes and did 7 again, but only a couple of the bolts turned. I left it at that and started pumping gear oil into the thing again. No leaks! I hope it stays that way. Thanks again to all who responded with advice.

My tip of the day is my DIY gear oil pump. I went to the beauty supply place and got a pump dispenser they might use in a salon. I think it was a buck or two, I got it years ago. A little whittling of the spout and I could put on a length of plastic tubing. The tube that goes down into the product is long enough to reach the bottom of the 1 qt gear oil jug. It pumps pretty fast. maybe 5 minutes of pumping to empty a quart of gear oil.

It didn't say on the can, but it took off the cone shaped nozzle before leaving the extra squirt hanging out. I hope that was right.

Edward

At 09:55 PM 3/21/2011, Michael Sullivan wrote: >Just put a nice amount around the edge of the pan and set for a >minute...then trim or wipe any excess from the inside lip. The >trick is holding it in place while you torque it, so get an extra >hand and it will take minutes, instead of an hour. Good luck. >P.S. Always let a little squirt out of the "cheese can" if you got >the aerosol can, when you are done,so you have a little plug that >will save the rest for next time. Just like Cheese Whiz. :-) >Michael in San Antonio >91GL Weekender AT 2.1L 'Gringo'