Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Mar 2011 17:17:04 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cheapo CV Boot repair(emergency only)
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>

Shades of Kentucky (where I lived for several years)!! LOL mcneely

---- Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET> wrote: > Our Subie Outback had a front inner boot blow and not having the cash > for a new axle jsut yet, I got creative for a "keep the rest of the > grease in there until I can fix it" shade tree repair. Most Walmarts > and Harbor Freights have these small rolls of shrink wrap for > shipping stuff and such and they come with like a white plastic > handle for the wrapping part. The roll is maybe 7-8" in width. In > additon to that, I used part of a roll of 3M 33+ electrical tape and > a pair of semi sharp scissors or maybe a razor type knife might work too. > > The inner boot on the Subie(and Syncro for that matter) is pretty > congested in there making the rolling of the shrink wrap around the > old boot somewhat difficult, so I jacked up the vehicle and had y > wife manually spin the right front tire while I fed the shrink wrap > through the smallest of gaps above the exhaust. I went back ands > forth over the entire area from axle to CV joint buit didn't put a > lot of pressure nthe stretch wrap. Snug, but not way tight. I made > sure I was rolling the wrap so the end flap was pointing to the rear > for roation's sake, and then had her rotate slowly and I covered it > more or less with the electrical tape too. > > My thinking was that the width and elasticity of the shrink wrap in > combo with the ability of the electrical tape to stick to clean > shrink wrap, maight jus t make a decent temporary boot. We've driven > it for a few days with positive results so far. I didn't try to heat > shrink the wrap over the old boot, but that may make a slightly > cleaner temporary fix. I would feel lucky to have access to a heat > gun during a roadside repair. > > Anybody ever tried this fix??? I'm thinking the inboard CV's on the > Vanagon could benefit from this, but how you'd feed that shrink wrap > inside the hub housings, good luck with that. > > YMMV > > Max

-- David McNeely