Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Mar 2011 19:52:10 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Alternator question
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

At 07:21 PM 3/26/2011, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: >and I'm not asking you to explain how the wiring works.. >I'm teasingly asking you .. >why did they build it that way !??

Sheesh. I guess that was too subtle for me.

So the question is "Why did VW do their sensible and legally mandated power-on indicator-lamp test for the OXS light by wiring it into the ALT light circuit instead of by building a separate little electronic circuit that would detect that the ignition was on but the engine not running?"

I think (at this point) that you know the answer as well as I do - they did it because it was inexpensive. And because in their foolish, foolish way they printed an owner's manual for the vehicle that pointed out the failure warning lights (three) and the service reminder light (one) and expected that people who had bought a fifteen thousand dollar vehicle would read the 125-page booklet that comes with it.

In their gibbering self-satisfaction they failed to understand that in the US market they needed also to fit a little mechanical bird that would sing "This is a service reminder; since you've thrown away the manual it means that it's time to replace your oxygen sensor. There is no need to be alarmed or to fail to pay attention to the other lights which are Warning Lights(TM) and mean you have to stop the car and get out and see what is wrong. We know the book said that too, but since you've thrown it away we thought we'd just point it out now."

Hokay?

[/sarcasm mode]

If it sounds as though I think you're wasting my time...I do.

Yours, David