Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Mar 2011 01:30:48 -0500
From:         Jeff Palmer <jpalmer@MYMTS.NET>
Subject:      Re: camper conversion other than Volkswagen
Comments: To: Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>

My boss has a Roadtrek (I believe they are made in Kitchener Ontario) and I have an 85 Westfalia. We are very different people and neither our cars nor ourselves have much in common.

My van cost $10,000 in 1993 and is probably worth about that much today. The Roadtrek is $75 or so and probably depreciates about $10k a year.

My van is nice and simple. Small footprint literally and figuratively. My boss (and his unit) carry a rather large footprint. I suspect he's compensating for something :)

My van is small and nimble enough to be a daily driver in the city. My boss only brings his out for special occasions like the 4 week holiday he takes every year. Which is a holiday for me too but that's another story.

I guess that while I think Roadtreks are quality units, they are bulky and represent poor value. $75-85k is a ton of money for what you get - and there isn't tons of usable space in a Roadtrek. Roadtreks are not versatile - you would never drive one on a daily basis. Apples and oranges.

You can get a pretty nice Class C for that money, can't you?

If you need to shower, poop in your van and nuke your microwave dinner in your unit then the Roadtrek is right for you.

Now those James Cook/Sprinter thingys or whatever they're called - that's another story!

Jeff