Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Mar 2011 16:08:30 -0600
From:         Alfred Bagdan <abagdan@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: Refurbishing a dead laptop
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

Hi John,

I did just such a refurbishing job with my daughter's HP laptop that is 3 years old. I now runs as new. One problem was that the C drive was almost totally filled with downloaded music and videos, and there was no room left for the swap files. The other problem was overheating, when the CPU gets too hot it shuts down and causes the laptop to freeze.

It is not expensive to fix yourself, especially if you like tinkering, and don't care if you wreck the laptop. I purchased and downloaded the Laptop "Repair Workbook by Morris Rosenthal" for a few bucks, it has step by step flowcharts for trouble shooting problems, and also it will give you an idea why you should bother repairing the laptop when you can buy a brand new one very cheaply.

In My case I did it because I like tinkering, and as a retiree I took it on as a challenge. I had built desktops computers from scratch before, but never laptops. The principles are the same.

To fix your laptop you will need a set of small jeweler screwdrivers, good eyesight or something on your head to see fine detail (I can't think of the name for it), a can of compressed air, a digital camera to take pictures of every step, and step by step instructions how to take your laptop apart. Just google your laptop model number and find the step by step repair manual. As an example, I googled "DV6700 repair manual" and the first thing I got was the manual from HP. Also, there should be a recovery file on your laptop, you can reinstall the operating system and files just as they were when the laptop was new.

For the overheating problem you will have to take the whole laptop apart, just to get at the fan assembly. (make sure to take pictures) Have a clean and well lit workspace, preferably grounded, if not touch something grounded to remove any static from your hands. Keep track of the small screws by scotch-taping them to a sheet of paper and labeling everything. There is lint in the fan assembly and you need to blow it all out with small bursts compressed air. When putting it back together, make sure to clean the heat-sink contacts with a damp tissue wetted with Isopropanol alcohol, and then put a very thin layer of heat-sink compound back on. Be very careful with the wires and ribbons when you take the laptop apart and put back together.

Be patient, and if you are unsure about something google or watch steps on Youtube. I wrecked a small ribbon cable because I did not know how to release it. As a result I had to find a replacement for a few bucks on the internet.

It is easier to fix a laptop then a Vanagon!

Happy tinkering,

Alfred 85 Westy