Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:36:47 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: History in a glovebox and a build sheet question
Comments: To: B Feddish <uprightbassghost@HOTMAIL.COM>

Thanks for the read. I have a cople stories semi-sim ilar too. Now I know I'm not alone.....

DM&FS

At 09:51 AM 3/28/2011, B Feddish wrote: >It’s long: > >”I can't believe it is still running, and back >in the area! My wife and I were headed through >Delaware to meet some friends to go camping down >on the Eastern Shore of Maryland when the car >died. We called AAA and a tow-truck came to help >us. We hopped in the truck as the truck was >connected to the car. Unfortunately, about 2 >miles down the road, the driver asked me if I >had the parking brake on, and the car in >gear...to which I said "yes" to both... We >looked behind and saw that the car was leaving a trail of smoke. > >It turns out that the brakes were cherry red, >the clutch was destroyed, and that the engine >was revving in first gear so fast that a rod had >gone through the top. This allowed oil to spray >all over the inside of the engine compartment, >and the oil started to smoke when it came into >contact with the super-hot engine. In other >words, we were only seconds away from having the engine catch on fire... > >Needless to say, we never made it on the camping trip... > >When I accused AAA of having destroyed my car, >they said that in order to prove it, I would >have to pay to have the car totally dismantled, >and then an inspector would evaluate the >damage... This would prove to be expensive and a >waste of time, as AAA would claim that the car >was not damaged by their employee's actions. >And, if I had sued him, there wasn't any money there to replace the car... > >So, as the car's body was showing signs of rust >"cancer", we just unloaded it through Jules, who >was our mechanic in Phoenixville. > >We learned about Jules through a series of >mis-adventures. You see, every time we would >take the car on a long roadtrip, it would die >several times. The longer we drove it, the more >gas it would consume, and the more smoke would >be emitted from the exhaust pipe. Finally, the engine would just die... > >Once we were in rural Georgia on a Friday night >and our arrival was the biggest excitement that >the gas station had ever seen. Everyone from the >Sheriff to the town's best mechanic showed up to >look at the engine... All of the good-old-boys >just looked at it for hours. Finally, my wife's >incredibly good looking cousin arrived and took >us to her house for the night. In the morning >the car was "fixed" and we went back on our >way... Those boys are probably still talking >about the night a vision of loveliness in a fur >coat whisked away a stranded Yankee family... > >Another time, we were in Virginia with my >elderly mother-in-law who had just recovered >from a stroke when the car died... We had the >car towed to the VW dealer, and they "fixed" it again... > >And then there was the time when Sue called with >a car full of frozen food on the way home from >the supermarket... The car had died on a super-hot day in August... > >After each trip nightmare, I would take it to be >fixed by a local professional. But after our >mechanic at the Gulph station in Wayne couldn't >fix it, we took it to Devon VW. They tried, but >finally told us to go to <Name Removed> in >Fraser. <Name Removed> was a VW van nut - who >cut one down and made a miniature version of a >van, with "Honey, I shrunk the bus..." written on the side... > ><Name Removed> had the car apart in his shop for >about four months, as he replaced everything >there was to replace... But the dieing engine >problem persisted... So, to get his shop cleared >out, he put it back together and towed it to >Jules in Phoenixville. His father took one look >at the car and had it fixed in about 20 minutes... > >It had been an electrical problem all along. It >seems that a previous owner had had an >after-market air conditioner installed. And the >installing mechanic had crimped a wire too >tightly, so that the insulation around the wire >was compromised, and the wire came in contact >with the clamp - which was grounded to the >battery.... As a result, the engine thought that >it needed to enrich the fuel mixture, until it >over heated and caused "vapor lock". Then, >because the engine was "flooded" it wouldn't >start again until after it cooled down... > >The mechanic who had installed the air >conditioner had covered the crimp with what >appeared to be a molded - factory-installed - >cover... All of the other mechanics had just >assumed that the wiring had been factory >installed. But the old guy had thought to test it for continuity... > >So, when the car experienced the towing debacle, >we just washed our hands of it, as it had been >very expensive to have, and was unreliable for >the entire time that we had had it... > >It was a shame, because we really enjoyed our >road trips as a family... We had some wonderful >experiences in Minnesota, Maine, Nova Scotia, Vermont, and places in between. > >But then when our daughter turned 16, it became >her car... She complained that the color was >"baby-<expletive> brown", and that it wasn't >wise to give her a vehicle with two rolling >beds... As it was, I found a pair of her >girlfriend's shoes at the bottom of the bed in the upper loft... Ah, youth! > >So that all is to say that after the towing >accident, the clutch and transmission were both replaced. > >Glad to hear that it ended up with a good owner!” > > > >Learn > > > >From: JordanVw@aol.com >Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 10:29 AM >To: uprightbassghost@HOTMAIL.COM >Subject: Re: History in a glovebox and a build sheet question > >In a message dated 3/28/2011 10:21:22 A.M. >Eastern Daylight Time, uprightbassghost@HOTMAIL.COM writes: > If y'all > are interested I'll post it here.... > > >what did he say?