Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:18:21 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gordon River (vancouver island) trip
Comments: To: Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@gmail.com>

Roger, I understand that the loggers made the roads. I use whatever roads are available to me that I can navigate.

That does not mean that the "resource extraction industry" as you referred to the logging industry is doing its best to sustain the resource. Clear cuts can, if appropriately sized to the species and the forest, and followed up with proper management, contribute to sustaining forests. Even then, that does not make them pretty or pleasant for those of us who love forests. Clear cuts are just ugly, and if I have my druthers, I won't spend much time in them, and will contribute to those who care my voice about them.

Houses of wood? Yes, but the wood can be harvested so those who benefit also contribute to an ongoing forest. Wood is a renewable resource, but not when taken without attention to regrowth. Even then, the forest only functions as a forest if considerations beyond regrowth are factored in. A doug fir or slash pine plantation does not a forest make.

But, my comment was only about the setting for Alistair's first camp on his nice Vanagon trip.

Thanks, mcneely

---- Roger Whittaker <rogerwhitt1@gmail.com> wrote: > dear fellow vanagoniters > said ... a great little trip, despite the clear cuts. > it should be noted that the likely-hood of this trip even being possible was > made so by the roads created by the resource management industry ... > so it may be we have access because of the wood harvest or what ever > resource was there be it gold or power ... > > so in reality all roads cover the earth in some way > just as nearly all houses wood > regards > > On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > > > Alistair, that sounds like a great little trip, despite the clear cuts. > > Wow, that first camp site -- oh well. the 2nd one looked really nice, > > though. Beautiful little stream. > > > > mcneely > > > > ---- Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA> wrote: > > > Spent 3 days last week exploring some of the Gordon River watershed in > > > the syncro, with my son. > > > > > > report here: > > > > > > http://shufti.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/gordon-river-trip/ > > > > > > > > > alistair > > > > -- > > David McNeely > > > > > > -- > roger w > From Proverbs: > Under three things the earth trembles, under four it cannot bear up: a > servant who becomes king ... > ---------------------------------------------------------- > Explore printed work at: http://www.prliving.ca/ > View the growing list of video work at: > http://www.prpeak.com/articles/2010/11/29/multimedia/video/doc4c62e5f80d228504902172.txt

-- David McNeely