Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:04:02 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [WetWesties] POI Mega File for S&T Users Driving Westfalias
              Addemdum
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@gmail.com>
Comments: cc: Wetwesties <Wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>,
          vwvan <VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com>

RE: Loading POI files into a Garmin A couple of years ago when I loaded a bunch of POI files into my Garmin I could have given you a step by step but I'd have to go back to the manual myself right now. Garmin has a seperate program for loading POI files. All files have to be loaded into a single directory and then when they get transferred to the GPS they end up just one file in memory or on the SD card although are able to select them one at a time on the GPS for search and display. The trick here is to keep that directory with the files in it. If you want to load additional POI files later on you have to reload ALL of them. And pay attention to the .csv files available from sites like POIFactory and such. I had several files that had the lat/long in the wrong columns and the load when it tried to load a record with a latitude above 90 degrees, took me a while to figure that out and correct the files. Another warning about Garmin. When I got mine and loaded it (ran the install program from the CD) I was told Congratulations, you qualify for a free upgrade to the latest update of the map file (normally about $100). So I gleefully loaded it into the computer and into the GPS. I was still able to see both version on the computer in MapSource but only the new version was there on the GPS unit. And to my dismay Garmin had deleted all the small towns, the little wide spot-in-the-road places that people like you us go looking for! After a long discussion with Garmin (and no results) I finally found an online forum with connections to Garmin tech and got sent a DVD and instructions for restoring the old map version. I now have both on my GPS unit. Another thing about Garmin. If you have more than one Garmin device you have to pay a second time for the software you already have on the first unit!! The software is booby trapped so that it can't be installed on more than one device, only on the first device you install in on. I got this confirmed when I acquired a Garmin hand held about six months ago and tried to load the street files into it, no go. And emails and then conversations with tech support confirmed that.