Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Mar 2011 16:47:32 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: GoWesty Auto Parts QSC piston kits
Comments: To: mcneely4@COX.NET

well understood on your whole point. re not disparage that competitor, even to a customer who has related a bad experience with that competitor. Just my vision of ethics, I guess."

Well.. let's say ..........'disparage' is a strong word.. but if someone knew that a service or part from a vendor was 'weak' let's say .. wouldn't you appreciate knowing about it ??

probably. in which case the most ethical thing would be to keep it private.. pmail the person you are hoping to help .. and keep it non-public. And respectful and clean.

and yes....in general... any business or vendor should be very circumspect about saying bad things about other vendors/ engine converters etc.. because even if it's true ..it just looks bad. makes people think the person making the statements is jealous..or doing it as a dirty way to compete etc. So best to keep that super low profile.......and not public basically.

and for one vendor to say 'we have that same thing for a lower price' .. I don't think that is 'super bad' .. it almost falls under being advocatory in nature. I don't think it's all that bad, by itself.

scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Mcneely" <mcneely4@COX.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:30 PM Subject: Re: GoWesty Auto Parts QSC piston kits

Facts, perhaps. But Wilford is a competitor. Frankly, whenever I encounter a vendor of anything making negative comments about a competitor, I go elsewhere, maybe to the competitor who has been disparaged.

Fact is, I have bought from GoWesty and had excellent help, even to the point of being walked through an install. The parts mentioned in the earlier post were bought from their discount parts division, where they state up front that the prices are intended to be rock bottom. Though I am simply one individual buyer, and not a mechanic who might buy repeatedly, Lucas has talked with me directly, personally, and other personnel with GoWesty have been most gracious in attempting to help me. I can be a hard person to help, sometimes, too.

Copied from the GoWesty Autoparts web site:

"Welcome to the GoWesty Auto Parts site!

You can now order mechanical parts for any model vehicle, have them shipped directly to your door, and pay what we pay—plus 10%. That's right. You pay only 10% over our cost. Our mission is simple: To revolutionize the way you buy auto parts by offering you the highest quality items for the absolute lowest price possible.

Conditions and Policies:

* You can order mechanical parts for any vehicle. You pay our cost plus 10%. That's it.

* All sales are final. Once you've placed your order, the parts are yours to keep. It is your responsibility to ensure that the parts you order actually fit your vehicle. If you order the incorrect part, we suggest that you sell it online (and make some money!) to someone who can use it.

* We do not offer technical support for the parts available through this site.

* There are absolutely no returns. The only exceptions to this rule are 1) if a part is deemed defective from the factory, or 2) a part arrives damaged in transit. It is imperative that you inspect your shipment prior to signing for it. Once you sign for it, you own it. If you return a part to us for a warranty inspection and it turns out to be functional, you pay for return shipping back to you, and that part is yours to keep.

All of the above conditions make it possible for us to offer parts at cost plus only 10%. The goal is to offer you a one-stop opportunity for all of your mechanical parts needs.

Note: If you don't find what you're looking for here, please visit www.gowesty.com. That's where you'll find all of your Vanagon, Eurovan, and Bus specialty items. "

When I've compared specific parts on the GoWesty Autoparts site to their own parts on their regular GoWesty site, the prices on the latter are higher, and competitive with what I usually see from other vendors. Sometimes that is not true. Sometimes the GoWesty Autoparts site prices are just as expensive as elsewhere. In such case, I'd probably buy elsewhere. If the GoWesty Autoparts price is less, and I feel comfortable with the conditions, I'll buy there. If I do not feel comfortable with the conditions, I'll buy elsewhere.

But I won't, after buying from them with the conditions stated up front, complain that they did not provide me a walk through or technical support on installation.

And I'm no particular fan of GoWesty, or any other business in general. Almost all are in business for their own reasons, primarily to make money. Where their purposes and mine intersect favorably to me, I'll use them.

A vendor of anything should just leave it to a customer to learn that a competitor is a poor place for that customer to do business, and not disparage that competitor, even to a customer who has related a bad experience with that competitor. Just my vision of ethics, I guess.

mcneely

---- Jim Johnston <inmytree1@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > I saw nothing negative about Ken's post...he was stating facts...sure, > sometimes facts can be seen seen as negative...regardless, they are still > facts... > > > Jim > Wilmington, NC > > > On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > > > With all due respect, I wish that vendors who offer parts for sale on > > the > > list would refrain from saying negative things about competitors. It > > really > > does make it hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. Just my thoughts on > > the > > matter, as a list member who has bought from both the vendors concerned > > here, as well as from others. > > > > mcneely > > > > ---- Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > > > Tom, > > > > > > Just FYI, we sell these as well for much less. If you want I can give > > > you a quote on an engine rebuilt kit. The 96mm piston set I can do > > > for > > > $299 for Vanagon list members. Just let me know. > > > > > > PS, I will gladly give anyone who buys engine rebuild parts from me > > > customer support. I love how they sell a kit and then calmly state > > > that > > > they will give no technical support with it whatsoever. The customer > > > support is what you really need when you are doing a job like this. > > > > > > -- > > > Thanks, > > > Ken Wilford > > > John 3:16 > > > www.vanagain.com > > > Phone: 856-327-4936 > > > Fax: 856-327-2242 > > > > > > > > > > > > On 3/31/2011 1:20 PM, Tom Lambas wrote: > > > > I'm ordering parts for my 2.1L rebuild and I am considering a piston > > kit so > > > > I contacted GWAP > > > > to ask if the QSC kit still had the deck height issue. It seems > > > > they > > can't > > > > answer any technical > > > > questions and wouldn't give me an answer. I was told that they've > > gotten > > > > good feedback about them though. > > > > I contacted QSC and they said that the issue with the pistons was > > corrected. > > > > Just an FYI. > > > > > > > > Anybody try their cylinder heads? Looks like just a finished > > > > casting. > > QSC > > > > has an interesting website. > > > > http://www.qscusa.com/Piston1.html > > > > > > > > -- > > David McNeely > >

-- David McNeely