Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Mar 2011 14:11:27 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shock Advice Sought
Comments: To: David Vickery <david_vickery@yahoo.com>

As a former road racer I obviously tried the shocks at full firm, full soft and several places in between. I can change shocks on a Vanagon pretty quickly now! ;)

You probably know that the Konis are only adjustable on the 'Rebound' valving, the 'Jounce' setting is set at the factory - that's the part I didn't care for...

As I said before, YMMV

"Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks!"

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 1:05 PM, David Vickery <david_vickery@yahoo.com>wrote:

> I'm surprised to hear you say the Bilstein HD were soft and wallowy. I > have read quite a few posts the past 2 days and the only complaints have > been that they are too stiff. > > The Konis are adjustable. Did you dial them up, or was that on the lowest > setting. I read they can be very jarring when dialed up but the vanagon > people that posted about them recommended dialing them up some (I forget > what the consensus was, more in the rear than the front though). > > I am going to get the Koni's so I guess I will be able to figure that out > myself. I decided from posts that I don't want the ride of a gas charged > shock (better performance but stiffer and translate more bumps on highway). > > --- On Tue, 3/29/11, Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM> > > I have used several of the shocks > > that you mention. > > > The Bilstein HD shocks were too soft and wallowy for me, so > > I sold them. If you think a '68 Thunderbird has a good ride, you > > might like them. > > > > The Konis were much too bumpy and hard riding on the jounce > > part of the stroke, so I removed them. I didn't like them with the > > Carat springs or with the '89 Westy springs. > > > > I went back to my former ALKO shocks, the same ones I have > > on my '84 and like them a lot. If they were a tiny bit firmer on rebound > > I'd reach Vanagon suspension nirvana. ;) > > > > IMHO, YMMV, etcetera > > > > > > > > On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 4:29 PM, David Vickery <david_vickery@yahoo.com > >wrote: > > > > > My rear shocks are leaking (oil residue all around the > > shock tube) so I am assuming it is time to replace them. > > > > > > What are people recommending? I am more > > interested in quality over cheap > > > but a good deal is nice to find. And for what > > it's worth I put a set of > > > Bilstein's on a previous van and I didn't think there > > was much difference > > > from the stock Boge. I wouldn't rule out getting > > them again, but what do > > > you recommend. I drive highway and dirt roads in a 2wd > > Westy. > > > > > > >

-- Jake

1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX - 'The Grey Van' 1986 Westy Weekender/2.5 SOHC Subie - 'Dixie'

Crescent Beach, BC

www.thebassspa.com www.crescentbeachguitar.com http://subyjake.googlepages.com/mydixiedarlin%27