Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2011, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:01:50 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dash Noise - Buzzing
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@mac.com>

Since noise happens on the highway, and there was engine work done, echoing other replies, I'd look at pressure switch wire at switch, connector inbetween, or switch itself first.

There's info in the archives (and notes about which bar the high pressure switch is. I never bothered to remember. You'll see diagram showing 1.8 and 0.9 bar for high pressure switch.... wait.... <searches> .... looking at BD looks like it should be a 0.9 bar: http://busdepot.com/view.jsp?model=43&category=13&group=84&prodgroup=652), but check out P97.126 Bentley. It shows the switch open. The logic of that switch is opposite to the low pressure switch. Engine running, high pressure switch closes. If oil pressure drops below spec of switch, **above 2K RPM**, switch opens. Bentley shows an image of the connector on P. 17.10

I'd suggest something thicker with more staying power than WD40 for speedo cable.

Likely it's a loose wire at switch or faulty switch. If it's not electrical, get the oil pressure tested.

Neil.

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@mac.com> wrote:

> The van is an 88 with a newly rebuilt engine with all new sensors.

> > The sound is only heard on the highway and never at idle. > > Before the engine was rebuilt I had a blown head gasket and bad water pump. During that time period before the rebuild the oil pressure warning light went off once while going up a very steep hill and it does not sound like what I remembered at all. > > Since the Van's new engine it's been fine which was a year ago. This just started happening in the last 2 months.

> If it is a the oil pressure warning buzzer what should I do? > > Here's the check list so far: > - Clean all the grounds? > - Replace a relay? If so which one? Location on an 88? > - I checked the speedo and clip is in place. I even sprayed some silicone WD40 down the cable to be sure it was lubed. No change. > - ( which sensor location is this? on an 88?) john C wrote: Check the Double connector in the Eng. bay. &  add some electrical grease. To fix a bad connection. >

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines