Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Apr 2011 21:42:14 -0400
From:         Jason <uberhare@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: bearing/other noise when turning a tiny bit?

I'm with Scott. How long was the van sitting? Were the front brakes rusty? I always lift any car on the hoist and inspect things when it has sat for more than 6 months....

Jason On 2011-04-02 6:20 PM, "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > doesn't sound like wheel bearings really .. > the 82 does have an underbuilt outer bearings though.. > > fixed a year or two later.. > I'll sure say 2WD vanagon have good front wheel bearings.. > often they go many tens, even hundreds, of thousands of miles with no > service at all... > just the original grease and bearing adjustment. I seldom find bad front whl > brgs in 85's and later. > > I was once fitting some mercedes wheels to a 2WD vanagon..in the front .. > the wheel rim was about 1/8th inch from the upright .. > enough clearance for sure.. > yet in turns . > things flexed enough that it would rub there, only in turns. > > your 195 R14 tires should clear everything just fine. > > things like brake pads, calipers, and wheel bearings all come to mind. > wishwishwish makes me think of a warped disc rubbing on pads.. > that only shows up in turns ..something like that. > > Anti-sway bar ..something off there ? > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Will Taygan" <lists@ALASKABIODIESEL.ORG> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2011 2:05 PM > Subject: bearing/other noise when turning a tiny bit? > > >> Just got another stock '82 diesel Westy up and running. >> >> I hear a whishwhishwhish noise coming from the front wheels when I turn >> just a tiny bit left or right, consistent with something rubbing - any >> chance this could be a bad bearing, or do I look for something else? >> Sound continues through harder turns. Totally quiet when aimed straight >> ahead. >> >> I *do* have fresh Hakkapelliita CS tires on the front, but they seem to >> be wearing fine... >> >> Will in Alaska.