Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Apr 2011 07:00:14 -0700
From:         Al Knoll <anasasi@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: replacing lightbulb for heater control levers AAAK!
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@gmail.com>

LED stuff, yep I'm biased.

From my days as a young starryeyed stumbling fool:

"The sum of the voltages around a circuit must equal zero"

Eb=the battery voltage Vr= the voltage drop across the resistor Vd= the voltage drop across the LED

For the sum to be zero there must be some negative values. All the Vs we will consider as having negative values. The specified LED has two characteristics of interest

If = the current allowed for some particular luminance (just pick one from the spec sheet) Vf = the forward voltage drop across the LED at that current (likely to be the same for the entire operating range of the particular LED)

Summing the voltages around the circuit :

Eb-Vd-Vr=0 or Eb = Vd + Vr

Knowing the If as mentioned above we know from Homies Law and some other stuff like the current in the loop is the same through all elements:

so the current through the resistor (our quarry) is If

Vr = If*R

Since we know Vd (from the spec) and we can assume Eb is 13VDC (CEFGW)

Solving for Vr : Vr = Eb - Vd

R then becomes Vr/If =R

At least it worked that way before cellphones.

Thevenin and Norton were close friends. Russell H. Seacat was a harsh master.

Now the question for the day regards Newtons Laws and the recent discovery of Heisenbergs and Knolls corrolary is can you describe the three laws of motion attributed to Newton?

Pensioner