Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Apr 2011 09:34:24 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: headlights (all) - poof!
Comments: To: Grungy <grungy@grungy.com>

Yah it sounds like the added relays are aftermarket. Likely for higher wattage headlight bulbs or extra lights.

Your load reduction relay behavior sounds normal. P. 97.129 in Bentley, ign. switch X goes to headlight switch plug X. From there a smaller Blk/Y wire splits off to switch side of load reduction relay. Key off, headlight switch off, headlight switch and hi/low beam pull switch should not open/close the load reduction relay. But.... Key off, headlight switch on, "flashing" hi beams, it looks like power can come back from 56 of high beam switch, to 56 of headlight switch, then back through switch internally to X to relay. **This may depend on which position the hi/low switch is in.** A moot point in my mind though something I hadn't thought of before. The load reduction relay carries the load for fresh air fan switch, wipers etc.

As you observed, the aftermarket hi beam relays should click when temporarily pulling (warning flash) on hi beam switch.

You should hear the load reduction relay click close, and have power at X of headlight switch plug when key turned to X or ign. on position. I would check for power at X of headlight switch plug. If yes, then see if power at 56 of hi/low plug when headlight switch turned on. If yes, then check function of hi/low switch.

Neil.

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Grungy <grungy@grungy.com> wrote:

"Load Reduction Relay" > Fuse panel position [8] > Has a large "18" on the visible surface (installed) > PN 191 937 503 > > Can feel and hear it click when the turn signal/high beam level is pulled > rearward. > But only when the ignition key is OFF and the light switch is in "headlight > ON" position (not in parking lights or OFF). All other switch states - no > click. > > There are three relays tucked in above the fuse block that may be > after-market. > They appear to be attached with Velcro. > Hard to tell for sure (so far) but two of them feel like they are clicking > whenever the high-beam lever is pulled back or released. > >

> But it really does sound like the ignition switch, since the rest of the > running lights still work, just not the headlights. > That is the "X" connector on the ignition switch, correct? > Got a Bentley manual and a VOM, just need to know where to stick it... > > > At 10:39 PM -0700 4/3/11, neil n wrote: > >> Since it happened when you hit the hi/low switch, I'd check that. >> >> Power from headlight switch goes into hi/low switch before fuses, >> headlights. Pretty sure there isn't a headlight relay unless one was >> installed aftermarket (or at least I don't see one in Bentley wiring >> diagram). The clicking you hear is likely the mechanical aspect of switch >> itself. >> >> I imagine testing hi/low switch would be a matter of pulling the plug on >> it and checking continuity. >> >> If one were certain about how to jumper the plug, that should confirm if >> all else ok. >> >> Neil. >> >> >>

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines