Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Apr 2011 09:43:41 -0700
From:         Richard Koerner <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: friday question(s)

RE: What is it about the Vanagon?

When I was a senior in high school, we had a lunch group of 6 guys; we came up with the "Van Plan" for after we graduated.  We were going to buy 2 or 3 vans, and spend the whole summer traveling around the USA together in a caravan.  As time went on, we parted ways, but the dream never died with me.  In 1974, bought my first VW van, a 1970 bus; outfitted it with a homemade bed, curtains, and cabinets....and I was on my way.  Drove 15,000 miles that summer, to the four corners of the USA, a total of 41 states!  The original plan was to buy a good van, use it for the summer, then sell it; my plans started changing after the first week...I knew I would always have a van, it was just so fun and allowed me to have so many adventures that would otherwise never have happened.

In 1989, with 175,000 miles on the air-cooled '70 bus, decided to upgrade to my current 1985 Vanagon.  Like a dream come true!  More power, quieter, power steering and brakes, air-conditioning, better handling.  I felt a little guilty giving up my old girl for the new girl (named both of them Betsy).  So now have put about 160,000 miles of travel on the "new" van.  Altogether, I figure I've driven 295,000 VW Van miles....and I've slept in my van(s) over 700 nights since 1974....gosh, that's about 2 years of my life!  And, I'm going camping in her again this weekend, so I guess at least 701 nights!

Yes, the travel-van thing is in my blood.  Has shaped and defined me somewhat.  I will admit that I sometimes look at the MB Sprinter and start getting ideas...in 5 years I plan to go full-timing for about 5 or 10 years and want a little more room and comforts than the Vanagon offers.  I have done a lot of travel over the years, and my preference is to always "travel light", just so easy that way.  Hence the Vanagon.  So a tough decision lies ahead.

Yeah...I really like my Vanagon....and we take good care of each other.

Rich San Diego