Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Apr 2011 17:08:38 -0400
From:         pat <psdooley@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: back on the road
Comments: To: zzyzx <zzyzx9@GMAIL.COM>

I can fully attest to this and going thru the pain right now.

It was in a Metro, not a Vanagon, but same difference.

The old fuel gummed up the valve guides and hung an exhaust valve.

The fix involves pulling and full disassembly of the head.

I never heard of this happening before, but with my problem and now this one documented I would say be very careful.

We keep hearing about fuel quality taking a nosedive and this surely supports it. The gas in the Metro was 1 year old.

_____

Hello David,

I have recently learned my lesson on old residual fuel. If the fuel tank has an aroma of lacquer I am now very cautious.

My short story; Bought an air cooled Westy that sat for 5 years with 7-8 gals. in the fuel tank in need engine rebuild. Mains, rods, cam bearings & heads were done and reinstalled. Beautiful when they're finished aren't they? Drained the tank of residual fuel that would drain with tank in situ. Regrettably that leaves about 1-3 gals in the tank depending on how many dents are in it. Added 2.5 gals of fresh fuel to tank. I like to take 15 minutes after installing to reflect, Asking myself ...is there any thing I've missed? No...lets spool it up. Vrooom Vrooom.....sounded beautiful after lifters pumped up. Ran it for about 5 min. After throwing back a beer on that hot summer day in the desert I decide to listen to the music of the fresh flat four again. Crank crank crank but the orchestra doesn't come to life. In fact it would barely crank over at all, kinda like a dying battery. Ba Hum Bug, I figured I'll get at it tomorrow. The next morning it would not crank at all!!! I diagnose this, that & the other thing...blah.blah blah... but still no chuckles. Long story short.... During that fateful 5 min.of run time there was enough highly concentrated varnish/fuel cycled through the engine to build up on the valve stems to seize them in the guides after cooling. No solvent in the shop would come close to loosening the valves. Heads required removal & valves had to be pressed out.

So if you can't drop the tank and drain it all out follow the advice of so many of the other fine members you once again will be pleasured to associate with.. My two cents in concert with the other suggestions...dilute it enough and run it long enough.

Welcome back David,

Steve

BTW anyone on the list get the 1981 Adventurewagen in Lodi for a $100? I was too late, said he committed to another...

http://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/2303610295.html

Higginbotham, David A. wrote: > Volks, > > It has been several years since I lurked on the list and unfortunately it has also been several years since I cranked my van. It has been sheltered since 2006 and nothing special was done to it when it went in the shelter. It has simply been sitting. To quote a Doc Watson tune, "life gets tedious sometimes". So.... Other than the obvious battery charge/replace, what would you folks advise I do to the thing before I try to crank it, if anything? It is an 82 aircooled, stock, no engine mods. > > Thanks, > David Higginbotham > 82 Westfalia > Silk Hope, NC > >

_____