Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Apr 2011 17:48:13 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Report: gas mileage, in town, 1.9L AT
Comments: To: Marius Strom <marstrom@MICROSOFT.COM>

I don't consider it so hilly in Bend OR myself.. and ....'as bad as 14 mpg in town, in the winter' can be normal for an auto trans vanagon .. but 12 is really ......'rather unacceptable' .. and maybe a 1.9 should do a bit better than 2.1 with auto trans.

so ...true it may not be fully in spec in all parameter of how it's running.

drive me nuts that shops will put in say ...cap and rotor, plugs and plug wires, and an air filter .. and say 'it's tuned up.' True .they may have installed 'the tune up parts'.. but they don't do that really truly right anyway ..I only see spark plugs installed with bone dry threads . they should have a bit of anti-seize on the threads, and be screwed in tightly enough ..

and ..those 'tune up' parts ..don't even wear that much and they are not what goes wrong or wears out particularly.

just one though ..of many .. if a shop or person is working on doing a 'tune up' to a waterboxer vanagon .. and they don't insure that it is running properly up to temp .. then they really haven't addressed at all whether it's running properly or not.,

same goes for the throttle switch making contact at idle.. for the timing be right, and not too advanced, and the oxygen sensor output has been checked.. those kinds of things need to be checked, and I do not get the impression that they ever are very much.

Especially on 1.9's ...I seldom see one running really properly. ...due to lack of real understanding or even just caring that it's really in spec, apparently.

2.1's are generally a better in that respect .. I see those truly 'in tune' more often , and less so on 1.9's commonly.

I think it's important to add a high quality fuel injection cleaner to the fuel now and then, also.

But 12mpg ain't right ! either the calculations are off .. or the engine is not running like it should be properly in all dimensions.. or someone is just driving it very hard .. or doing something like sitting with it cold, and idling to 'warm it up' .. that's a very bad practice. Heck..on my auto trans vehicles, I shut them off in gear a few feet before I get to the final parking spot .. less fuel is wasted that way. driving to where you are going to park it, then putting it in park, then shutting if off finally, wastes a fuel of course. Though it's very hard for many people to learn to shut off in gear, THEN put it in park. scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marius Strom" <marstrom@MICROSOFT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 3:45 PM Subject: Re: Report: gas mileage, in town, 1.9L AT

I dunno.. I average 18-20 on highways for camping trips (Westy), and I usually run around 14 or so in the city. I don't know that there's obviously something wrong. My city driving typically includes lots of hills, as I assume Mr. Squirrel's does (living in Bend).