Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Apr 2011 12:33:28 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: friday question(s)
Comments: To: Joe Luther <jluther@ALFONS-HAAR.US>

Bought my first Vanagon in 1990. I needed a new vehicle because my daughter had T-boned my '85 Jeep Wagoneer LTD into another vehicle. Not her fault, but required of me to replace it to have transportion. I knew nothing about them at all. Had a choice between a Vanagon based aircooled Westfalia and a 1985 GL. The aircooled Westy had an engine that sounded as if it was about to come apart, and it stunk like old fish inside. Somebody was using it in Alaska as their fishing vehicle. Then there was the '85 GL. Clean, looked good, sounded good, but had a serious power steering leak and everybody was afraid of it. There were no other Vanagons on the Kenai Peninsula at the time and no one understood the vehicle. I had an inside track with EERO VW, a dealership in Anchorage, did a little inquiring of a mechanic friend there, and decided on the '85 GL. I was never sorry. That was the beginning of my Vanagon relationship. When I sold my 85 GL, it had 205,000 miles on it, and the only thing I ever had to do to it besides replace that leaking power steering rack and regular tune-ups was replace the water pump at 195,000 miles.

After selling the 85GL I picked up a Burgundy colored '88GL off a used car lot. It looked good, sounded good, drove good, tanny shifted good - but it was lemon. I drove it for a couple of thousand miles and the tranny failed. Had to be rebuilt. Then at 10,000 miles of ownership, the engine burned a hole in a piston. The damage was so extensive I replaced the engine with one from a local rebuilder. I'm approaching 150,000 on it and it's still running strong. Over time I have replaced, rebuilt, repaired so very many items on it. At this point in time "it's the devil I know versus the devil I don't". I know this vehicle from one end to the other, inside and out. I trust it because I have been through it. In the process of going through all this experience I have come to the conclusion there is not another vehicle on the market today - new or used - that can even come close to the performance and utility this machine offers it's owners. I can carry 1500 lbs of plaster inside, or a 12 ft step ladder inside, or 2x6x12 lumber - inside. I can haul 4x8 sheets of plywood and gypsum board - inside. When I want to go camping, I just through in the hibatchi, the bedding, the coolers, the chairs, EZ-up tent, and go for it. Alternatively, I drop the back seat down into a bed and sleep there. In bug season with portable netting I can open it up as much as I want for ventilation. The possibilities with it are endless. When traveling, I have the comfort of a nice sufficiently wide pair of captains seats up front with adjustable arm-rests and seat backs. With the power steering the driving is easy, and the wide panoramic view through that big curved glass windshield cannot be beaten. I have really come to appreciate this van. It's not too big, not to small, well configured for my needs, easy to work on, and though the engines are getting old, there are plenty of good engines of modern technology that are available for conversion. I have the very best support network behind me by way of the Vanagon List. That is really difficult to beat.

I have settled on the Vanagon being the last vehicle type I will buy in my lifetime. I now own three - two '88GL's and a 1991 Carat. The first one - my first '88GL - I still own and is my daily driver. I have always referred to it as the Red Brick, because of the color. The other '88GL is Metallic Dove Blue and the '91 Carat is a Dark blue. These latter two run, but are not roadable. There is still some work to be done when I get time. The plan is to keep the Red Brick as the daily driver. The Dove Blue is to become my art show vehicle. It will always be loaded with my show setup and pottery stock for shows, ready to go on a moments notice. The '91 Carat is to be my touring vehicle. It is very plush, has the fold out table, rear seat that folds into a bed, two rear facing jump seats, cup holders all around, privacy curtains, fluorescent lighting. Just a very plush, nice all around vehicle for travel. Additional comfort is an automatic transmission.

So there you have it. Where I am with my machines. Don't ever expect to own anything else. They meet my needs, what more can I ask.

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 4/1/2011 8:21 AM, Joe Luther wrote: > Obviously, the members of the list really like Vanagons and go to great > lengths to keep them running, improve them, modify them, etc etc. > > Why exactly a Vanagon, what is it about them that inspires everyone? I am > on my first Vanagon, it arrived in pieces, so I haven't been able to drive > it yet. I assume it will be sorta like my other air cooled buses, but > slower. > > Having been a VW owner since my first 1967 bug in 1976 I'm well aware of the > equal parts pain and pleasure involved with owning anything VW makes but I > have always overlooked the Vanagon. I thought they were cool in a funky way > but never thought about owning one until I found the one I just bought. I > got it because it was rust free, low miles, had lots of spares, my main > considerations for any VW/car purchase. > > Not an April Fools post, seriously, what is it about the Vanagon that > attracts everybody to them? Just wondering and wanted to know the stories, > I've seen some cool camping stories on here but I assume not everyone has > the camper. > > On a related note, the only other make I've seen named by such a large > percentage of owners is early Volvos. I've never named a vehicle before > other than $%#!!!!*, which was my pet name for my 00 Passat before I lit it > on fire (kidding about the fire, not about the name). I feel peer pressure > to name the Vanagon, hopefully not $%#!!!!*. > > Joe > >