Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Apr 2011 22:25:57 -0500
From:         Grungy <grungy@GRUNGY.COM>
Subject:      Re: headlights (all) - poof! - continued...
Comments: cc: neil n <musomuso@gmail.com>

I bought the '89 Carat kit ;-) - it came to me this way, used.

Thanks for the instructions - I may be able to reverse-engineer this yet. It would be nice to be able to drive at night again...

Those are networking color codes. First and last letter of the color. Didn't notice that Bentley used a different standard until after I sent the message.

At 8:16 PM -0700 4/4/11, neil n wrote: >Which kit did you buy? Are the instructions the same as this? (near >bottom of page): http://www.frankcondelli.com/hdltrela.htm Using that >as a reference, between it and my Bentley, here's what I can see. >:) > >Typical wiring for a 4 or 5 pin relay: > >Switch portion of relay: 85 (Gnd.) 86 + >Load side of relay: 30 + in, 87 + out. >(Ignore 87a. It supplies B+ when relay switch open.) > >Key to ign., hi/low switch in low position, turn on headlight switch, >only low beam relay should make noise (click closed). Click to hi >beam, low beam relay opens *and* hi beam relay closes. If you hear >both clicking at same time, this is likely what's happening. > >Key off, headlight switch off, "flashing hi beams", (not engaging >mechanical switch) only hi beam relay should click. This should >provide a quick and easy way to tell which relay is which. > >I don't understand what you mean by "BE" "WE" but sounds like black >to 85 is ground, 87 Yellow is power out. Testing with VOM is the only >way to know unless you physically trace the wires. > >FWIW, it took me a while to get the nack of reading the Bentley >diagrams. If you have a Bentley, (you should. Especially for this kind >of work :) ), one tip that helped me was to realize that the >boxed number on the end of a given wire, indicates which track that >wire continues on. i.e. P 97.129, track 87, wire from 30 "stops" at >boxed 104. Find track 104. Look up/down track. You will see 87 in a >box. this is where the wire in circuit continues. > >Neil. > > > >On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Grungy <grungy@grungy.com> wrote: >> Found three more relays tucked up above the fuse box. >> >> All three are Bosch 0 332 209 150, which appears to be a generic, >> inexpensive relay. >> >> Two of them are held together by a single piece of peel-and-stick >> velcro tape that held the pair of them up in the dash. They both >> click when I pull on the high-beam lever. That says to me that they >> are getting power from the high-beam switch when it is pulled, but >> for some reason it is not distributed. >> >> All three are wired like this: >> >> 30 BE >> 85 WE >> 86 BK >> 87 YW >> 87a - nothing >> >> Can't tell where the other end of the wires go - that will take some >> digging. >> >> My suspicion is that the third relay, the one that doesn't click with >> the high-beam lever, is somehow related to either the auxiliary >> battery or the AC-inverter. >> >> There may be a fuse, off of the fuse block, somewhere between these >> relays and the switches and headlights. Haven't found it yet. >> >> The ignition switch electronics check out with a VOM. >> There is continuity between 30 and X when I turn the switch. >> >> Still don't know what size/type bulbs are in the headlights. > > I know there are 55w units in the backup lights - found those last year.

--

bcnu - Grungy (Houston, TX) opinions are just that.obviously. 60 dddPanel 69 Bug 89 Carat 04 Jetta TDI 05 Jetta Wagon TDI g r u n g y AT g r u n g y DOT c o m