Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Apr 2011 21:10:16 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: new driveshafts for raised vanagons
Comments: To: Phil Zimmerman <philzimm1@SHAW.CA>

well.. the idea of gear reduction boxes for the axles has merit.. not an April Fool's day thing either ..

beccause .....there are not many transaxles that turn the right way, in order to be able to use a clockwise turning engine in the rear, like our vanagons have. ( porsche 911 is one of the few transaxles with the same layout as our vans use )

Say you turn around a whole subaru engine and trans .. and install in the rear of a vanagon .. you'll have 1 forward gear and 5 reverse gear ratios.

this is true of many transaxles from cars with front-mounted engines. Basically 'all' cars built that way. ( most engines turn clockwise when looking at the crankshaft pulley . a rare exception are honda engines ...those 'originally' - older honda's turn backwards ...somewhere in the 2000's I think, they went to normal clockwise rotation. )

but ....reduction gear boxes change the direction of axle rotation . ! so ...that opens up lots of possibilities for transaxles to use. sure they'll turn backwards.. but a two-gear box reverses direction of rotation of the alxes....so while the axles will be turning backwards ..the wheels will be turning forward correctly .

they do not have to be 'reduction' gear boxes either .....they can be 1 to 1 ratio .. or even 'gear up' boxes.. furthermore .. while they were used to increase ground clearance on old split window VW Buses.. they have also been used, as in a few racing dune buggies long ago, to extend the wheel base.. just point the gear box aftward, rather than downward.

...since someone mentioned reduction gear boxes.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Zimmerman" <philzimm1@SHAW.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, April 01, 2011 11:32 AM Subject: Re: new driveshafts for raised vanagons

Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 09:17:11 -0700 Reply-To: Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA

…... I've found a better solution, this German made driveshaft set up.It allows extreme axle angles using stock CV joints

http://www.eathen64.de/AndreasBilder/KurbelgelenkwelleCleanKlein.jpg --------------- Wow, what an improvement over the ol' gear-reduction boxes on the early Busses. I dog-leg VC-Jointaxle… So simple! Donno why this was not thought of sooner? Can be done at home with metal bending-torch.

Any idea of the ride quality at speed Alistair?

Phil Z. Campbell River, BC Suspension Capitol of Kanada ------------------