Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Apr 2011 05:34:54 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: To bleed or not to bleed

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 11:14 PM, craig cowan <phishman068@gmail.com> wrote:

> Find a piece of 1/8'' hose and make the necessary adaptors (using other > sizes of hose) to attach it to a funnel. Run the engine, then park it on a > hill, nose up. Take the grill off and take the bleeder screw off completely > once it cools a bit. Now add your 1/8'' hose and funnel (enough space > around > the hose for air to escape) and fill the funnel with coolant. Once it's > full, install the bolt, drive, and repeat (once cooled). This is my > favorite > way of bleeding the system. Easy. It takes time, but it's simple. > Give it a go Ryan. Build this apparatus and store it in the bus. You will > use it again. > > -Craig > '87 SUNROOF Syncro > '85 GL turned WESTY > BOSTIG in back > > I do the same procedure with the funnel and the hose.

You mention your van is running noticeably cooler than before you took coolant out and re-filled? That IS one of the symptoms of air in the cooling system. At the cost and hassel of re-building a WBX or transplanting in some other motor, I would error on the safe side. It takes me all of about 3 minutes to pop off the grill, remove the bleeder and stick my little (I use a hard steel brake line mated to the funnel) device in the bleeder hole and pour in some coolant till a steady stream comes back out. I did blow a headgasket once when I was just learning Vanagons (inline VW motor) running it with just those symptoms. I did a 3000 mile trip with stop leak in that motor, losing coolant and topping the system each gas stop. Didn't even make the other gas station customers angry, I got so fast at doing the 'funnel in the bleed screw' process. Don Hanson