Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Apr 2011 10:01:28 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tencentlife Oil Cooler
Comments: To: mcneely4@cox.net

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote:

> is in my "91 VW Vanagon GL Campmobile, and appears to be working fine. > > SAt 60 mph, rpm at 3200, the oil pressure gauge read at 40 psi. Prior to > installing the oil cooler, it would have generally read at about 25 psi or > slightly lower under this circumstance. > > Thanks, mcneely >

Oil pressure seems to be quite sensitive to oil temperature and not in a really 'linear' relationship. On my inline VW motor, after I installed an oil temp and an oil pressure gauge, then experimented with the plumbing of the oil cooling systems, I've been seeing this.

I see that when I "charge" up a long pass aggressively (65mph+) my oil temperature will rise from it's normal highway 195f to about 215f and my oil pressure reading goes from 68psi to around 55psi...running at say 3700rpms. So increasing the oil temp by 20 degrees drops my oil pressure by 10-15psi. A relatively small increase in Oil temp can cause a bigger change in oil pressure.

Before I installed one of those oil filter flange/cooling interfaces, my oil temp would climb to 240f and my OP would fall to 30psi at 3700 rpms. This is using dino oil in 10w 40 weight, cooler temperature ranges.

I think keeping a reasonable oil temp in any motor is quite important, especially to keep your oil pressures sufficient.. I use my oil temp gauge as a back-up to my coolant temp gauge.

Don Hanson