Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Apr 2011 23:03:50 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: "Do ya wanna trade?"
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <garciasghostvw@GMAIL.COM>

My van - a burgundy colored 88GL gets flags a lot. I've got a buddy near here who travels with me sometimes. We both have a full gray bush and he has a full head of long flowing gray hair to boot. I seem to have left mine somewhere. But sometimes just for fun, he'll tie on a bandana and I turn my pork pie flat-hat around backwards and cruise around a bit. The high-signs, the expressions on faces - that we get are absolutely priceless. I wish I could show you all!

John

John Rodgers Clayartist and Moldmaker 88'GL VW Bus Driver Chelsea, AL Http://www.moldhaus.com

On 4/10/2011 8:47 PM, Robert Fisher wrote: > I pulled in at the grocery store next to a woman that was trying to shoehorn > two kids and a buttload of groceries into what looked like an old Honda or > the like. I don't have the middle seat in at present, and the boosters/car > seat are on the back bench; she stood up and looked into the side window and > said "Ohmigod, look at all that space...!" Then she said "That's one of > those classic vans... do they cost much?" (She may have been confusing it > with a loaf, actually.) One of the kids was diggin' it but I didn't pick out > what she was saying because I was listening to the mom. I'm sure to her it > looked like a rolling freight container right then... room for days plus > kids' seats. : ) > > I told her she could probably get one in decent shape for around four grand. > That's the number that popped into my head for a passenger van, but I really > haven't looked lately. I didn't go into the whole spiel of cost/difficulty > of upkeep and so on, as I figured it highly unlikely she'd ever really get > one, assuming she could find it. I did tell her I paid $300 for it but had > to rebuild the engine and tranny in short order. (Even with that I don't > think I have more than $1400 into the thing for getting it on the road and > reliable-like.) > I still think (and I know that this is preaching a well-worn sermon to the > choir) that a modernized, mid-priced Vanagon layout would sell in bunches > and droves. It might take some heavy PR to overcome the perceptions of > front-end safety, but every body's afraid of something on a car. Too bad we > won't see it. > > Like many of you I occasionally get ppl that walk up and ask about the van; > the expression on their faces when they actually look through the windows is > priceless. In the back of my mind I always think they're thinking "My god, > it's full of stars!" hehe > -- > Cya, > Robert > > '87& '86 Auto GLs > >