Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Apr 2011 09:55:17 -0500
From:         Zach Hale <zach@ZACHHALE.COM>
Subject:      Oil/gas leak from passenger cv joint

Hello all,

I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do right now as I'm at a campground intending to drive a full day so any help is much appreciated.

This morning I checked my oil and coolant as I normally do and all looks good. Start up my 85 vanagon and noticed a slightly louder than normal clicking noise (normal to hear but it got my attention) so I went to listen in while it warmed up. Then I noticed something dripping from around the passenger side rear axle boot. I can't tell whether it's oil or gas. It smells like gas, but it sometimes does when I start the van up. The cvs are only about 6000 miles old and seem to be in good shape. The liquid stopped dripping after I turned the van off and has since (20 min) dissapeared almost completely from around the boot. Based on that I'm thinking its probably gas and I only thought it was oil from scraping the ground where it was dripping and would have mixed with dirt. I really don't know. Smells like gas.

I doubt the clicking is any worry and is just the van warming up. The oil level is full and it seemed to be warming up like normal before I stopped. Gas tank is almost full as well. I did notice that after my last oil change a month ago the oil level was a little bit above max for what that's worth. Seems a normal max level now. At least while cold.

Any thoughts/worries? I appreciate any help as I'm eagerly ready to leave this camground. :)

Thanks, Zach