Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Apr 2011 12:22:56 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil/gas leak from passenger cv joint
Comments: To: Zach Hale <zach@ZACHHALE.COM>

Hi Zach... there is a place on the fuel line arrangement on a stock gasoline vanagon .. right above the starter roughly .. that WILL leak eventually .. guaranteed, if it's the original from-the-factory fuel line set up.

it's hard to see some ... if yours is original you'll have a plastic fuel line fitting in the firewall... near the air flow meter, hidden behind main coolant hoses on an 85.

the problem is on the forward side of the firewall there. what VW did was ....nicely clamp a short hose on the forward part of that white plastic fitting .. with a hose about 1 1/2 inches long .. the forward end of that hose is just 'crimped' with a metal band where that hose goes onto the black plastic line coming from the fuel pump.

that is THE spot that leaks ! .guaranteed . on ALL water-cooled gasoline vanagons as they come from the factory. If it has not started a fire .............it WILL start a fire .. unless you fix it there. I recently just pulled on one ...the black plastic line just pulled right out .. that metal crimp type clamp just doesn't cut it after 20 years.

the proper repair, in my world anyway .. is bypass the entire white plastic fitting ..run the hose on the engine directly to the black plastic fuel line ....right through that big space to the right of the bell housing ..and screw clamp it to the black plastic line. why VW put three hose connections in the space of 4 inches of so ..........just totally dumb. When done with this critically important mod, you'll have just one junction.

( btw...I see zero reason to run the fuel hose through the hole where the white plastic fitting was, with a grommet ...........totally silly ...just run the hose through the large space to the right of the bell housing. Put the clamp where you can see it easily anytime you are looking at the engine. You do have to undo one small white clip 'way' up in there so the black plastic fuel line can run more directly to the engine hose.

Number Two comment.. It is very, very bad practice to start up and engine and let it sit 'warming up.' !! It creates unnecessary wear in the engine .........it wastes fuel, and it is polluting. There is no load on the engine ... so it can't warm up very well. it puts acids into the exhaust system that eat the muffler. it puts acids in the engine oil that eat at the engine bearings. And it wastes fuel and pollutes. it's a really, really bad practice.

what you should do is .....get all ready to drive off.. start the engine gently ....let it run 30 seconds to a minute max, then drive off gently .. and drive gently the first couple of miles....and then engine warms up 'under load' that way ..... After a couple miles or so ....then drive normally.

Raw gas has a very distinct smell. Even one tiny drop you can usually smell. And you never should smell that smell.. unless it's at the front and you just filled up ..common for grommets on top of the 2WD gas tank to leak on a full, full fill-up .........not a big deal by itself at all. If it's bad, should be fixed, but a 'little' fuel smell at the front after filling up is not right, but it's also not 'usually' of desperate concern.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Zach Hale" <zach@ZACHHALE.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 7:55 AM Subject: Oil/gas leak from passenger cv joint