Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2011, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:19:11 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: How Do You Know If Your Springs Need To Be Replaced?
Comments: To: Robert Stewart <robertmstewart@MAC.COM>

HI.. I just started driving my 87 Wolfsburg .. same as you 88 Wolfsburg I beleive. These vans have 1/2 inch shorter springs in them compared to a regular say, 88 westy.

I'm still sorting through shocks/wheels and tires to get the ride and handling I want .. but I did get the impression that the front is firm .. like the shorter springs don't have as much soft travel in them.

when I walk up to my 87 Wolfsburng and get in, it feels distinctly closer to the ground than a 'normal vanagon'. I measured from ground to the bottom of the front door window opening..I got one inch lower than my other vans.. so ....I'm thinking they may ride more firmly anyway .. since they have shorter springs stock than a regular passneger or Westy vanagon does.

if I put my knee on my front bumper and load the front suspension .. say with about 75 lbs weight ..it goes down about an inch ..and rebounds right back up. Feels normal there.

I did take out some aftermarket non-Boge shocks.. might have been KYB's ...in my hands...they seem rock solid in rebound. At the momment i have some used Koni's on the front .. they are softer ....bit worn out ..the damping in compression and rebound ..and they 'almost' rebound to easy ...like they don't dampen like they once did. To be replaced soon.

Tires and wheels can make a big difference in how the springs and shocks feel. this van started with H rated 205/70 R 15 tires and alloy wheels on it. I have always thought H speed rated tires feel harsh .. I got those off .. and doing a lot better now. Even how the back is....affects how the front feels.

I think mine will be just about right when I get some HD Bilsteins in the front .. and the stiff rear shocks can stay there.. and with 15 inch steel wheels and michelin aggilles 205/65 R 15 C tires ..I expect it to ride and handle about right .. and I expect the front to feel stiffer , or 'short travel' a bit anyway, compared to a 'tall springs' Westy or passenger van.

perhaps another Wolfburg driver will chime in. I like the low look at lot .. just don't want to firm a ride.

a properly handing and riding car or van .. does not have to be hard riding .. well dialed in suspensions can deliver great direction stability .....very good neutral handling in corners.. and not be harsh riding, all at the same time.

I am finding the wheel/tire package is related to how 'right' the shocks feel. HD Bilsteins seem totally 'normal' .. even boring-soft-normal to me with 14 inch wheels and tires .. but they start acting right with my michelins on 15 inch steel wheels.

I also find that sidewall stiffness is a bigger factor in the ride/handling balance than tire pressure is .. like if a tire is too stiff ( like an 8PR in the front) lowering the tire pressure helps .. but will not get you to what a C load rated ( 6PR ) tire will.

with the right combo of wheel/tire/shock/tire pressure .. vanagons can handle well, track straight down the road, turn-in well, be well banlanced in corners , and ride nicely too.

but I suspect the wolfsburg is on the stiff side, the ways it feels in the front on bumps. I'm not done fine-tuning yet either though.

scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Stewart" <robertmstewart@MAC.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 3:18 PM Subject: How Do You Know If Your Springs Need To Be Replaced?